We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

Which Monterosso al Mare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Forster
4 posts
Save Topic
transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

Can anyone tell me what it costs or if there is a bus from the Milan Malpensa Airport to Monterosso or Genoa please. Also my girlfriend and I want to go to San Gimignano from Monterosso and then from San Gimignano To Sorrento. I am aware of the train from La Spexia to a town near to San Gimignano, from where we take a bus. We were hoping for a bus service to take us to these places, advoiding private transfers which are very expensive. many thanks Carol.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

There are very few long-distance buses in Italy. You would get from Malpensa to Monterosso by train. See www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Monterosso has its own train station, and you may or may not have to change trains at La Spezia to get to Poggibonsi (the station closest to San Gimignano). Again, Trenitalia will show where you have to change.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

You would best be served taking a shuttle bus from the Malpensa airport to the Milano Centrale train station, then getting a train to Monterosso. Many are direct trains and those are about 3 hours. Follow sydneynick's link and you can check the schedule there. A bus is not really an option.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

The shuttle bus is easier from Malpensa Terminal 2, but the train is probably easier from the main Terminal 1. You should buy your train tickets all the way to Monterosso at the airport train station. Use 'Malpensa Aeroporto' as your departure station on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html - it will show you the changes required, which always includes Milano Centrale (MI.C.LE). Times and fares are currently online until June 10 but will be the same or similar after.

There is one bus a day from the airport to Genoa at 12.30 http://www.volpibus.com/orari.asp/l/19 (and two in summer) but this would only get you onto exactly the same train to Monterosso that you would catch if you leave Malpensa by train thirteen minutes later.

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
967 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

I am confused by the above post in reference to Terminal 1 or 2. Do you have to take a shuttle to the train station from the airport or is it possible to get a train to Monterosso directly from the airport?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

There is no train direct from Malpensa to Monterosso. You must get to Milano Centrale train station for a direct train, either by a train from Malpensa Aeroporto train station which is located at Terminal One, or by a direct bus from either Terminal.

From Terminal One, the train is easier as the airport train station is located at that terminal and the transfer in Milano Centrale station is shorter and all inside and on the same level. The journey time by train is also often a few minutes less than that of the bus, for which the published journey time of 50 minutes is sometimes increased by poor traffic conditions. The bus is €7.50, the train €7.

However from Terminal Two the bus is easier to Milano Centrale, as to reach the airport train station you must wait for and ride an internal airport bus to travel the 2 km from Terminal Two to Terminal One. Terminal Two is used mostly by low cost flights from within Europe.

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
967 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

Thank you so much for the clarification! I am just in the beginning planning process for our group of 9 and trying to dot all the i's and cross all the t's! I am reading the forum psot by post and taking notes!

7. Re: transfer from Malpensa Intrernational Airport in Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, March 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare