We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in Manarola?

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in Manarola?

Hi,

We have finally managed to find some accommodation, Locanad Giuliana, in Manarola. I was wondering if there were many restaurants about and places to have a drink? We don't need lots of choice at all, but I guess definitely nothing too pricey. Just simple italian fare with wine will do us!

Also, are there places for us to buy food if we want to go off walking for a day?

And any other recommendations? I think we may stay there 4 nights. Would it be easy enough to go to Santa Margherita from there for a day?

Thanks, more quesitons to follow once I book up for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in Manarola?

There are several nice restaurants and bars on the main street. We liked one facing right on the harbor with outdoor seating. Reservations needed at night. There is also a small grocery store in the upper part of town for picnic items.

TAB

NC
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in Manarola?

There is a great bakery - La Cambusa - right on the main street in Manarola. Best focaccia we had in Italy. We bought cheese at the small co-op store and took that and the bread hiking.

We found many of the restaurants in Manarola to be pricey for what you are getting. The poster above mentioned the Marina Piccola, which is the restaurant at the base of the main street looking out onto the water. Definitely the best view in town, but not the best food. I would have a glass of wine there, but probably not dinner. The waiter even said some of their seafood was shipped in!

Our best meal was at Trattoria da Billy, which is a bit of a walk up into Manarola, but worth it. They have tables that look out onto the water but situated higher in the town so an interesting vantage point. But again, not cheap. Reservations are probably needed at both restaurants.

We also ate at another one of the restaurants on main street - if you are walking towards the water its on your left, and it was decent, but obviously not that memorable.

Mentioned in this post
Cambusa
Cambusa
174 Reviews
Martinsicuro, Italy
Marina Piccola
Marina Piccola
1,373 Reviews
Manarola, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
NYC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in Manarola?

I agree with everything Bunny5c said - we were also underwhelmed with the food and also the service at Marina Piccolo. Trattoria dal Billy was probably the best meal we had in CT. I definitely recommend that you splurge on a nice dinner.We also ate at Via Vente (yum!) in Monterosso twice - it is easy to get the train back to Manarola.

Mentioned in this post
Trattoria Dal Billy
Trattoria Dal Billy
3,136 Reviews
Manarola, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in Manarola?

thanks for this post! we're staying in manarola next month so i'll definitely be making a reservation at trattoria dal billy.

there was a good times article about it and CT - …nytimes.com/2007/08/05/travel/05hours.html

NYC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in Manarola?

I forgot to mention - Trattoria dal Billy has a delicious house (white) wine of the same name !

Mentioned in this post
Trattoria Dal Billy
Trattoria Dal Billy
3,136 Reviews
Manarola, Italy
6. Re: Eating in Manarola?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:28 am, October 04, 2009