We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

My husband and I have 2 spare days based in Pisa. I would love to see Cinque Terra. My problem is that I use a small travel scooter to get around although I can walk around 30 m or more slowly. I would like to know

1. If any of the 5 towns have pavements and streets that are scooter friendly.

2. Are there many steps at the train stations to get into the towns?

3. If we caught a train from Pisa. Can someone please describe to me in detail,

Where we would catch the train from, where we go to, how many train changes there would be to get there, what station or town we would get off to catch the ferry to Monterrosso and get the train back? Are there small buses that would drop us off from town to town, are there taxis in each of the 5 towns?

We will be going in August, I have been told there will be myriads of tourists, would I be able to get my small scooter onto the trains or are they too crowded?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me please.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,093 posts
61 reviews
83 helpful votes
1. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

If my memory is correct it is absolutely impossible to get a scooter from the train to the towns. All stations are accessed by at least one flight of stairs and I don't recall any elevators at any of them. I believe even in La Spezia there is an underpass to negotiate that has quite a few steps.

Add to that the villages except for Monterosso in the newer part are very steep. I just don't think you can do this.

While you can also access these villages by boat, access to the boats is by a narrow gangplank from the bow to the concrete dock.

These villages were built way before any accessible means were thought of and cannot be modified. They cling to cliffs and even the trains come to them through tunnels carved through the mountains. Sorry!

United States
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

Vernazza has an elevator from the train platform to the main street but it was damaged in the flood and as of last Nov, it still wasn't functional. I did see some chair lifts on a couple of platforms but I've never seen them being used. Someone would have to go ahead and get train personnel to operate them.

TAB

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
89 reviews
137 helpful votes
3. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

The Cinque Terre are not disabled friendly at all. There are stairs in every train station, and steep inclines in all of the villages save for Monterosso. In the ridiculous mess of August, with the hordes of cruise shippers and day trippers waiting for the train, you'd be hard pressed to even FIND a member of the train staff to even open a chair lift for you. Though the need to exit at every station, at times there is such a crush of people they do not.

The boat is not an option for you really either, as there is a small, narrow walkway to get on and off, and the harbors (save for Veranzza and Monterosso) require stairs to get to the village.

If you could find a transfer to bring you in car directly to Monterosso then you could relax here a few days, that would really be your only option. We have disabled residents here that use scooters and are car-dependent, they never take the train for these reasons.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
47 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

Most platforms in La Spezia have a lift facility. In Monterosso it is possible to arrive on platform 1 without the need to use the stairs as there is a sloping parthway further up the platform down to the lungomare. That I occasionally use if I am at the back of the train. The problem is you have to return South to Pisa on Platform 3 where you would need to use the steps to access the platform. So it would be possible but presumably expensive and long winded I assume to take the train from Pisa Centrale to Monterosso with possibly a change at La Spezia Centrale without the need to negotiate steps. Then take a taxi back to La Spezia Centrale from Monterosso for your return to Pisa Centrale

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

Thank you all for these responses. Cudgel, from your post you are saying it is possible to catch a taxi from Monterosso to La Spezia? Would you be able to give me a guesstimate of cost? I would have absolutely no idea. 50, 100, 150 Euros, more or less? Would I be able to get the 'feel' and views of CT from the train?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

Thank you, Cudgey. Could you read post 5 it was meant to be a question to you.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
47 reviews
19 helpful votes
7. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

Speedy Taxis in monterosso

http://www.speedytaxi.it/index.htm

and also Amico taxis should be able to get you to La Spezia Centrale.

Radio Taxis in La Spezia charge 80 euro for this journey in the opposite direction so I would assume that it would be a similar fare in the opposite direction..

You will not really see anything from the train just an occasional glimpse of the sea as you are passing through tunnels between the villages

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
89 reviews
137 helpful votes
8. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

It varies here to la Spezia, there is no real fixed rate. I called taxis for some Americans yesterday and got three different rates from three different companies- 95, 110, and 130€ one way Monterosso to spezia

9. Re: Cinque Terre and disabled facilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 30, 2016