We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

Hi all

At present we (2 x 60 y.o. and 1 30 y.o. )are booked on a flight from Helsinki arriving at Malpensa airport on 18 June at 10am. We need to get to Monterosso in Cinque Terre by train.

Would it be quicker/more convenient to consider flying to Christoforo Colombo airport in Genoa and travelling to Cinque Terre from there instead?

I would also appreciate information for travellng from Monterosso to get to Menaggio, Lake Como?

Would hiring a driver be an option or too $$

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

You have to go through Genoa to get from Milan to Monterosso, so obviously it would be faster and probably more convenient.

To get to Menaggio, you have to go back to Milan by train, change there for a train to Varenna, then take a ferry across the lake.

It is some 300 km from Monterosso to Menaggio. A driver would want to be paid for the return journey, so I would think a cost of around €600.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

If you mean flying direct from Finland to Genoa, yes, this would be better, but I don't think it's possible.

If you mean taking a two-leg flight through-booked from Finland to Genoa, this might be a good idea, depending on how the connection times work and what the cost is compared to taking a train from Malpensa.

If you mean booking a separate flight from Malpensa to Genoa, you can't because there aren't any. Flights cannot compete between cities which are 1.5 hours apart by cheap and frequent trains. You can get to Genoa from the centre of Milan faster than you can get to Malpensa Airport and board a plane.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

Sidneynick, I propose the following considerations (based on my own experience) as a contribution to a general discussion.

I believe that it's cheaper to fly Helsinki-Malpensa in comparison with Genoa, and that often Genoa makes no sense either in terms of time.

The reason is that Milan and Rome (secondarily, Venice and Bologna) are the main Italian international air hubs, so they show the best combinations in terms of cost and time. In particular, Genoa, despite the relevant size of the city (larger than Bologna or Venice) has a small airport, with very few carriers.

Going to the specific case, I just simulated (on the site Skyscanner) the purchase of an Helsinki- Malpensa one-way ticket, then of an Helsinki-Genoa one, on the day (June 18) indicated from Kezza.

In the first case we start from a 89 Euros fare and a 4 hours 20 minutes time (flight via Riga, Latvia). In the second case, the minimum fare is 154 Euros; but above all, for the relatively lower fares, there is a minimum journey time of 11 hours, due to long intervals of waiting at intermediate ariports, often with very irrational routes (eg, via Barcelona, Spain) .

Definitely, I think that Malpensa is a good choice. A 60' or so journey (by bus, or - better - train) from airport to "Milano Centrale" train station, then a train from Milano to Monterosso (there are some direct Intercity trains) allows in my opinion a rational and relatively comfortable trip.

Brun066

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

Many thanks for that advice - we will be coming from a few days in Helsinki hence my query. It sounds most sensible to get into Milane Centrale from the airport and head down to Monterosso from there.

I hadn't considered a driver would expect a return fare - doh! Thanks for your assistance all.

One more question - getting from Milan to Venice by train if cost is not an issue what train/seat/class would be your choice? Is there really much difference between them all?

Edited: 5:33 pm, March 30, 2014
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

Main difference between Milan and Venice is 2+1 seating in first and 2+2 in second.

6. Re: Helsinki to Malpensa or Helsinki to Genoa for Cinque Terre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 01, 2015