We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay/help with itinerary

Georgia
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay/help with itinerary

My son and I are flying into Milan in early May and plan to spend the first 2 days of our 7 night trip in Cinque Terre. We will be tired from the long flight and plan to take the train to either Levanto or Monterrosso. We need either a room with two beds or a small apartment/suite for 2 nights to use as our base to explore CT. Does anyone have a suggestion as which would be the better location? I also welcome suggestions for reasonably priced accommodations.

After CT, we plan to take the train to Pisa for the day.

From Pisa, the plan is to either

1) rent a car and explore the Sienna/Chianti area for a few days then finish up with 3 nights in Florence, or

2) Stay in Florence for the remainder of the trip and take day trips to the Tuscany villages.

We fly out of Florence. I am just starting to work on the itinerary so open to all ideas.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay/help with itinerary

Trains Malpensa Aeroporto to Monterosso to Pisa to Florence www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

You could rent a vehicle at La Spezia and drop off at Florence airport, after touring Tuscany.

www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Italy, contact the AAA.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy Avoid driving in Florence.

Parking info www.parkopedia.com

Buses from Florence and Siena www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.incinqueterre.com

www.aboutpisa.info www.lucca.ca www.discovertuscany.com

2. Re: Where to stay/help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 pm, February 19, 2015
Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
11,166 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay/help with itinerary

hi: i like your option of staying in Florence and using public trans for day-trips (i.e., buses are best for Lucca, Siena). Once you start down the rental car road, you have to deal with parking restrictions, etc. For a day-trip to the above towns, a bus is best because it lets you off inside city walls (where trains are farther away)...like Trekguyd01 said, if you really wish to travel the countryside, then a car is better. If I only had 5 days after Pisa, I would spend 3 of them in Florence and 1 in Lucca and 1 in Siena and not rent a car....or 2 in Florence and 2 in Siena...have a great time.

4. Re: Where to stay/help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, February 11, 2015