We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

Hi everyone! I'm planning a 5-day trip to Cinque Terre in the first week of September. From what I read, people usually choose a home base, whether its one of the five villages or a city outside Cinque Terre to do the hike or to visit. What I actually thought of doing was hiking from one village to another, and then figuring out where to stay when I arrive. I figured it gave me flexibility in terms of whether or not I wanted to stay longer at a village...

How feasable is doing this without prior reservations, at this time, since it is still relatively high season? I was also looking more at budget accomodation - I can't seem to find any online. Are there such accomodation in the villages, i.e. less than 40E a night, small places that may not have an online presence?

Advice is much appreciated!

United States
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

People recommend a base because the villages are close together and it makes no sense to haul luggage/ backpack while hiking when it takes less than 20 min by train ti travel back through all the villages. There are two low cost options in hostels, one in Manarolo ( which was in danger of closing but still has a website with 2013 prices) and one in Corniglia.

http://www.hostel5terre.com/

http://www.ostellocorniglia.com/index2.html

September is still very popular so if budget is a concern, I'd book ahead. Most of the rooms I've seen in Vernazza have standardized out at around €60-70/night for a single.

The park offices have a list of accommodations if you decide to wing it or you can look for signs on gates and doors.

TAB

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

It's going to rain/unstable the next to weeks. There will be less tourists.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

I spent a few days in CT in Sept a couple of years ago, and I personally would not go in there without a reservation. I saw people frantically searching out signs on doors late in the evening, but of course the tourist offices might help. Or maybe asking at stores or bars. It would help to have a cell phone.

Rain/bad weather is a double edge sword. Some will be cancelling plans, but I have seen large groups from cruise ships in there all with umbrellas in the rain. CT is not a very nice place when it is really raining because the CT is mainly about the views and walking, and the beach at Mont. and very small swimming places elsewhere. Also, when it rains more of the trails can be closed not only that day but for days afterwards

Sorry for all the words.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

Many thanks to you all for your insight, it helped a lot. Will keep all your advice in mind!!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

There's limited accommodation in the villages and September is still very busy so I wouldn't plan on going there without booking something first and the weather is about to change on Thursday, back to warm, sunny days.

6. Re: Cinque Terre, hiking and without reservations in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 28, 2014