We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
14 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Hi,

I'm going for 5 days to Milan next week and want to make a couple of day trips. From what I've read everywhere Cinque Terre is absolutely breathtaking so worth a visit of course. I'm not much of a hiker, so I think I will limit myself to trains and ferries. I just want to sit on a café, drink some wine and watch the ocean. Anyway, I know it's a 3 hr train ride from Milan, but I just can't find the trains. I've been several times on the trenitalia website and it keeps telling me there aren't any trains to Monterosso. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Train times are not yet online for dates past June 8. Use a current date for planning.

United States
Level Contributor
9,784 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Since you are going next week the schedules are posted.

Use http://www.trenitalia.com/ You can click on the English option. Choose Tutti i Treni. You can use Andata e Ritorno to see schedules going and returning. Da = MIlano Centrale A= Monterosso Change the ORA to your preferred tie of travel. I used 07 for an early start. Change the date to one for next week, I used Monday. Click on Cerca (Search). There is a direct train at 07:25 arriving at 11:00. Select a train and then you will get the schedules for the return trip. You can click on Next Solution to get the last train. Which I see is at 19:19, changing trains in Genova and arriving back in Milan at 22:50. After seeing the schedule you can close out without purchasing anything.

TAB

Edited: 12:10 pm, April 28, 2013
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
14 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Thank you so much!

I completely missed the tutti i treni option.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

TA Barrett is on the ball!

For English speakers, it's easier to click the British flag at the top to get into English. You then don't have to worry about the Tutti i Treni button, as that's the default in English.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
14 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

I was in the english version of the website...

Anyway, it was AMAZING! Cinque Terre is breathtaking. Unfortunately I had a small accident the day before (my leg fell asleep, didn't notice, fell down, sprained my ankle) so I couldn't walk a lot, but it was still well worth a visit. I visited the villages via ferry which was very nice. Seeing them from the ocean is great. So to all of you who are thinking of not going because of all the walking needed, do not be afraid! If you take the train / ferry between towns it can be easily done.

Edited: 7:28 am, May 17, 2013
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Is there just daytrips from Milan on Saturdays and thursdays with Zani Viaggi from Mlan by coach. We can not go on those two days and we are unshure about trains.Me and my husband are used to trips by coaches ,we are 4 people above 60years,

If it is not to difficalt to use the train from Milan ?Is it better to stay over for one night.The days that we were in Lombary are from the 6 to 9 of July2014

Tanks for helping

Reana

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Direct trains from Milano Centrale to Monterosso take three hours each way and currently cost €26 each way bought on the day of travel and from €9 each way bought in advance - booking starts four months in advance (and is cheapest then) on www.trenitalia.com - click the UK flag first for English, and enter your 'hour' of departure, e.g. enter '13' for 13.00..

The ferries along the Cinque Terre coast and on to Portovenere run about hourly, and you buy once you're there - schedules and rates for this year here …cnpstudio.it/USER_CONTENT/…

For many people, travel by train would be more comfortable than sitting in a tour bus for the same amount of time or longer.

Obviously it's better to stay one night if you want to reduce the amount of travelling you're doing in one day. But maybe not better if you have a paid-for hotel room in Milan that you're leaving empty!

Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

Thanks for the information we will definately make use of it .As read it looks if cinque Terre a must seen place is.with the prices of train it is much cheaper because the coach tour is $160 more or less and in Rand it is alot of money

9. Re: Day trip from Milan to Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 27, 2014