We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

$5,306.30 (all in, For Flight, Train, Hotels In Venice, Florence, Genoa & Rome 16 nights, 2 people minus food) on a 16 day trip?

If the flights are 2,500, could I do better booking my hotels directly myself with advice from trip advisor? If so how? We wanted to stay in the CT but this lady couldn't find a place there so she booked Genoa. All advice appreciated.

The details below

Balance Due 20 Mar 13: 5,306.30 16 nights

22 Jul 08:35PM [DL / 86] Delta Air Lines [JFK] New York, NY (JFK) [VCE] Venice, Italy 23 Jul 11:05AM

06 Aug 07:00AM [AF / 9831] Air France [FCO] Rome, Fiumicino, Ital [CDG] Paris, France (CDG) 06 Aug 09:10AM

operated by: AZ-Alitalia

06 Aug 10:35AM [AF / 12] Air France [CDG] Paris, France (CDG) [JFK] New York, NY (JFK) 06 Aug 12:35PM

22 Jul 13 Italy Vacation 2 Adult 16 Days 2,427.15 4,854.30

Electronic Documents 1 Electronic

Documents

Insurance $2001 - $2500 2 Passenger 199.00 398.00

Airfare [NEWRC2] 2 Adult

23 Jul 13 Rail Europe Fee 2 Fee 27.00 54.00

Villa Rosa Hotel, Venice, Italy - Standard Room With Continental Buffet

Breakfast.

1 Double Room 3 Nights

26 Jul 13 2nd Class VCE-FLR 11:25-13:30 - 2nd Cl Full Fare Adult 2 Passenger

Cimabue, Florence, Italy - Classic Room With Continental Buffet

Breakfast

1 Double Room 3 Nights

29 Jul 13 2nd Class FLR-AKA 09:53-12:19 - Ind. Open Ticket Adult 2 Passenger

My One Hotel La Spezia, Genoa, Italy - Double 1 Or 2 Beds Standard -

Bed And Breakfast

1 Double 1 Or 2

Beds Standard

2 Nights

31 Jul 13 2nd Class AKA-RMA 10:07-14:16 - 2nd Cl Full Fare Adult 2 Passenger

Impero Hotel, Rome, Italy - Standard Room With Continental Buffet

Breakfast.

1 Twin Room 6 Nights

Total Price (USD): 5,306.30

Credit (USD): 0.00

Deposit Due 20 Mar 13: 5,306.30

Balance Due 20 Mar 13: 5,306.30

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

I have done a quick analysis. Total of $5306, take off $2500 for airfares and take off $400 for insurance. This leaves $2406 for the train fare and the 16 nights accommodation. This comes to about $150 a night which is not too bad for summer. If you want to save a bit of money you can book your own hotels. Just do your research on the internet and then you can book through online agencies or book directly with the hotels.

"My One Hotel La Spezia, Genoa, Italy"

It is not clear if you are staying in La Spezia or Genoa. They are 2 different cities.

If it is La Spezia, it is a good base for Cinque Terre as there is a train from La Spezia to CT and it is not far.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

Fire the travel agent. Genoa is totally unsuitable as a base for seeing the Cinque Terre. Even if the agent could not find a vacancy in the CT villages, there are many closer towns. She is not trying to help you: she is picking a hotel from some consolidator who pays her good commission.

If you are prepared to do the work, you can find suitable hotels by using sites such as www.venere.com

Never, ever book European train travel through a US travel agent. You will pay far, far more than if you book the journeys yourself direct with the train operator. For the best prices, book as far ahead as possible. Tickets usually go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer, although the full-price flexible tickets do not change price.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com using the Italian versions of city names. At present, times are not posted beyond 8 June. Just keep checking the site.

There is also a new operator serving Milan, Turin, Bologna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples and Salerno: http://www.italotreno.it/EN

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

I think you need to look at the prices on the hotels' websites for the same rooms to see if it is in line with your quotes; I do have some difficulty understanding why she had to book you in a room all the way in Genoa - what about Santa Margherita Ligure or Rapallo or any of the other number of villages on the coast. I personally would not stay in Genoa to visit CT.

The Rome hotel (which is the only one I am going to look up) is 80 euros a night so a total of 480 euros for a room with twin beds which is what you indicated in your post. It's near Roma Termini - Rome's main train station - not the most charming part of town but safe and close to transportation. August is hot and humid - very - that time of year; I would read reviews of all the lodgings to check for comments about efficacy of the air conditioning - or it will be a misery if you get a place that has a lousy system.

Do a little homework re: the other hotels and decide if this is a good deal for you. $200 for your travel insurance each is a lot; mine hovers around $100 for a three week trip for myself.

Looks like she has you paying full price for train tickets when there may be some really great discounted fares on www.trenitalia.com - but schedules aren't all loaded yet for dates after June 8 or you probably wouldn't know this for a few weeks yet.

I would ask for a very detailed description of what that insurance covers - what are the amounts and what exactly is covered.

With about an average (and, this is just an average) of 80-100 euros per day for food, museums (some days/meals being higher, some possibly lower) - you would then be adding on another approximately 1600 euros - not dollars; euros.

Little confused though - the bottom of your post says the balance was due 10 days ago - I assume that has changed?

Edited: 7:10 pm, March 21, 2013
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

First off, you don't need to buy a rail pass for Italy. You can buy point to point tickets for much less than a rail pass. For example, you can find tickets from Venice to Florence on the high speed train for as low as 19 euros each. This includes the seat reservations which, for a rail pass, would be 10 euros additional each. Also, she has you listed as paying full price for train tickets, if you buy in advance you can get the super low fares like the 19 euro fares I found for the trip from Venice to Florence. To get from Florence to La Spezia, which is where the hotel is listed to be, will cost 12.50 euros. From La Spezia to Rome will cost 36 euros. If you add that together it will cost 67 euros.

I found the first hotel for a total of 349 euros for the three nights you're there. For the second hotel I found the rate to be 279 for three nights. For the third hotel I found 289 for two nights. For the hotel in Rome I found a price of 385.15 for the entire 6 night stay. When you add up just the hotels that comes to 1302.

So, if you add the 67 euros for the train and the 1302 for hotels it will cost you about 1369 if you book this yourself. Add that to your airfare and you can see if the travel agent is overcharging you or not.

Let me know if you need any more help.

This is where I found my information on prices.

For trains: www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

For hotels, either: booking.com or venere.com

Both are great sites and the reviews are by people who have completed a stay so they can be trusted.

Donna

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

The 'My one hotel' is in la Spezia. For some strange reason some hotel bookings websites locate this hotel in la Spezia, Genoa - but the hotel is not in Genoa, not in the Province of Genoa, and does not have Genoa as any part of its postal address.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

Then the OP needs to inform her travel agent because it seems according to the first post, it was the travel agent who told her the hotel was in Genoa.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

A HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO THIS POST. I WELCOME ANY MORE ADVICE TO THOSE WHO WANT TO WEIGH IN.

I'll be booking this myself. You've given me the confidence to do that now.

I hope you don't mind if I check back with you for any specifics and details on doing this.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

Feel free to come back anytime you need to know something about your travel plans.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

If it is really the My One hotel in La Spezia, it is well located within easy walking distance to the train station, as well as the center of town.

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me beat this $5,306.30 quote from the agent (details)

Hi

Your trip doesnt sound too expensive. We booked all our apartments.villas through trip advisor - no problem at all. Booked Paris two nights, 2 of us then flew to Venice - one night (4 Met up with our two kids) Rented a car - Mercedes, spent a week in Tuscany, then drove to Cinque Terre for 3 nights, then drove to the Island of Elba for another 3 nights, then drove to Rome and stayed for 3 nights = at least $12k . HIghly recommend to book on trip advisor - check reviews and book.