We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there from Florence

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
924 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Getting there from Florence

I know from this forum that its a train ride from Florence to La Spezia to get to CT. My question is once I'm in La Spezia how do we get to the little villages of CT?

Thanks in advance.

L

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there from Florence

The main train line from Genoa to Pisa and Rome has a station at each village, so you go by train. For some journeys, you do not need to change trains at La Spezia.

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there from Florence

Sorry Sydneynick...I'm still a bit unsure. I tried entering Florence as a starting point on Trentialia's website and Monterosso as a destination, and Monterosso wasn't an option. I confess that I didn't try any of the other villages, like Vernazza. Do I need to book from Florence to Pisa and than from Pisa to CT? Sorry if I sound a bit confused.

Thanks again

L

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,004 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Florence
Florence
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting there from Florence

Maybe you are looking too far ahead. Train times are not yet published after 8 June.

Go to www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html and look for trains from Florence to Monterosso using a travel date in the next 7 days to see costs of local trains. You will see a whole load of trains (I have just tried it).

Almost all of these journeys are on local (Regionale) trains, and it is absolutely pointless trying to book these trains in advance over the Internet. There are so seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Regionale tickets can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,491 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting there from Florence

If you were using www.trenitalia.com maybe your problem was with 'Florence' not Monterosso. Unlike the version of trenitalia's website advised by Sydneynick, www.trenitalia.com does not recognise English names for Italian cities and requires specific stations such as Firenze S. M. Novella.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting there from Florence

Thanks everyone for the help. I did know to enter Firenze instead of Florence and I also used a date (just to see the price) for next week. I will give it another try. So I can just enter Firenze SM Novella and which ever CT town we want to go to? I was planning on using a tour for this part of our trip, but everything I read here says its easy to get from CT from Florence and of course our time would be flexible this way. Not to mention, I know it will be less expensive.

Thanks again....you guys are great.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
6. Re: Getting there from Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 20, 2014