We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CT in early october

miami
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
CT in early october

Hello everybody!

We are traveling to Italy (Lake Como area with lakeLugano, Parma area and CT) in October for 8 days and would like to know your recommendations in terms of itineraries and distribution of time. I was thinking maybe 3 nights in Como, 3 nights around Parma, and 2 nights in CT. We will arrive and depart from Milan. We probably will rent a car to drive around the lakes and from Milan to Parma , Lucca, returning the car in La Spezia (is this recommended?)

Is one night good enough for CT? How is the temp

Is 3 days enough for Como ( we want to drive to Lake Lugano too) ( probably stay during the weekend how busy is it)

Thank you so much for your input!!!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Parma
Parma
Province of Parma, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CT in early october

I would recommend at least one full day or a day and a half in the Cinque Terre if you are planning on doing any hiking. If not, a day would be enough.

The weather in October is not very predictable. In the beginning of the month it can be either leaning towards fall (cooler with some showers) or still like summer. This year it was in the high 20's until the 23rd or so of October. It varies, but if its anything like last year, you'll be rewarded with sun, warm weather, and much fewer tourists- it was perfect beach weather and there was no one on it.

If its raining, keep in mind the hiking trails will be closed, and in the event of a higher sea, the tourist boat will not run.

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
miami
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CT in early october

Thank you for your info. Do you think its a good idea to arrive at night time or is it better to plan and arrive earlyin the day. How are the weekends in CT. We don't want too crowded but want some activity at night to go for dinner and some night life!

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CT in early october

We were there mid Oct last year and it was perfect weather but that's not the norm. We stayed one night, but arrived at noon and left after noon the next day. We were rushed a bit but what changed things a lot for us is that all the trails by the sea were closed due to landslide danger. So, a sea trail that would be 20 min suddenly becomes a few hours on the higher route. In the end, we opted to take the train between towns and got plenty of exercise with all the steep streets and stairs. We really needed 2 nights in CT.

The best time is early morning before the tourists have arrived or for photos, late afternoon to catch the warm colors of the sunset on the buildings. The villages all face west.

I was very surprised to see so many tourists in mid-Oct. I would never want to go in the summer season or on a nice weekend in the fall.

Leave your car at La Spezia and get a train pass there. You will need 2 days because the day pass expires at midnight. Traveling between towns is extremely simple on the train. Just take enough luggage with you for one night as you will regret lugging suitcases up the hills. We left our large one in the car in the underground car park by the station at La Spezia and used only backpacks in CT.

Night life? You're in the wrong area fro that IMHO. Lots of restaurants though and a few bars.

Edited: 7:08 pm, March 13, 2013
Mentioned in this post
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CT in early october

Arrive early in the day or later after dinner if you want to avoid the crowd...though in October it's more unusual unless its really nice out or a weekend, then there are more Italians that come to get the last of their beach time in.

As for nightlife, Monterosso has the most, but again, that's a bold term. We have some fun bars and that's about it! Nearby Levanto has some more options, like a great beer pub.

Mentioned in this post
Levanto
Levanto
Italian Riviera, Italy
miami
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CT in early october

Awesome!

Do you think we will.need hotel reservations? My husband went in November few years ago and he was able to find hotels. We are going in October and don't know yet where we will be spending the night so I don't know if it will be better to reserve ahead of time.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CT in early october

I'd reserve ahead of time, especially if you are coming on a weekend. If it's especially nice out, like I mentioned earlier, Italians especially will find more "vacation time" and come to the beach for a few days, and tourists might wiggle around their plans to spend some time at the beach. Better safe then sorry!

miami
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CT in early october

Any particular town you recommend?

Do restaurants close early?

Thanks again!!

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CT in early october

I would book soon. Last year I waited until early Sept. to book for Oct. and many of the hotels I wanted were gone. If you leave it late, you will pay much more or be stuck with something you won't want. Use TA to find one that suits your budget and location and check reviews carefully. Any of the villages are similar to stay in but Riomaggiore has the most accommodations available (AFAIK) and Manarola has the postcard view of the harbor.

The tourist season in much of Italy takes a big drop at the end of Oct., so Nov. would be easy to find hotels.

We found restaurants were actually easier to find a table at 8:00 or so.

Edited: 1:40 pm, March 14, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CT in early october

You're welcome!

Actually, that's a good question. People think Italians eat very late, and they do, but here many restaurants will stop serving around 10, especially if it's a slow night.

You can see all the towns in a day or two. Monterosso is the biggest, with the only real beach and the most "nightlife". Vernazza is considered the most typical. Corniglia is breathtaking, nestled on top of a mountain up some 387 steps from the sea. Manarola is charming, and Riomaggiore is a great place to lose yourself winding up the streets. You don't need to pick one, but if nightlife is your scene, there is a great little bar, Bramante, in Manarola that has live music and jam sessions often nightly in the summer, and in Monterosso, the most fun and belligerent being Fast Bar to drink with locals and other tourists, the most charming and romantic for a glass of wine in the piazza Enoteca Eliseo, Cantina di Miky has great drinks on the sea and live music sometimes in the summer...

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,003 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Corniglia
Corniglia
Cinque Terre, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre, Italy
10. Re: CT in early october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 16, 2014