We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Vienna, Austria
11 posts
Save Topic
Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

We fly to Milan 15/December. We will spent 2 days in Venice and then we want to go to the Cinque Terre. We are afraid of finding horrible weather and depressing situation. What do you think?

Is it worth to spend 2 days there at this time? Please give us advice.

Also in which village to stay?

(we will go there without a car-we are a young couple)

Do you have any suggestions of how to spend a nice week in Italy at this time?

Which places do you recommend us to visit starting from Milan? We especially like good weather.

Rapallo, Italy
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Stay in a big town (Pisa if you come from the east, Genova or Chiavari if you come from the west, Parma if you come from the north and don't mind waking up at 7) and have a day trip to Cinque Terre if the weather is fine! If you do, don't miss out the Manarola Xmas Crib, which should get lit every day at 5pm.

Andy

( http://liguriah.wordpress.com )

Vienna, Austria
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Dear Andy thank you so much for your input!

Have a nice day :)

Vienna, Austria
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Please can you also inform us which city you recommend as the most beautiful and closest to the Cinque Terre, coming from Milan?

What about La Spezia?

Edited: 4:39 am, December 11, 2012
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,666 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

From Milan by train, you get to the Cinque Terre through Genoa and Chiavari.

Rapallo, Italy
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

If you like big cities, go for Genova.

If you like a place with a pretty sea promenade, which was the resort of the rich and famous in the past century, choose Rapallo (in which case, I can also give you some suggestions as I often live there)

As for Chiavari, it features my favourite restaurant; in general, it's a wonderful town with arcades, so in case of rain you can still have a walk without needing an umbrella.

La Spezia is rather big and not particularly inviting, but it features my favourite hike (La Spezia-Portovenere)

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Unless you are a dedicated hiker, Cinque Terre is not worth making a special trip for in December. There is not much to do in winter for a visitor except hike.. If you do decide to go, stay someplace where you can change plans if the weather is anything other than sunny and dry.

Vienna, Austria
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Dear Mike and Perilizia, thank you guys very much for your advices, we really appreciate it. You are very helpful.

Dear Andy, I am impressed with your knowledge and your intensive support. We really appreciate it. As you suggested can you please give us some advices regarding Rapallo please? :)

Thank you all!

Rapallo, Italy
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Well, I was mainly referring to places where to eat and have a coffee/hot chocolate in Rapallo. I have no idea on hotels to recommend, but if your plan is to see Cinque Terre then Rapallo or Chiavari are a very nice base.

All trains stop there, so if you wake up and it's raining you can head to Genova in half an hour, if it's sunny you can be in Cinque Terre in half an hour. There's also a very nice path that in 20-25 minutes takes you from Rapallo up to S.Ambrogio, where you can have stunning views of the coast.

The hiking is usually better in winter, as the crisp air possibly allows you to see as far as Corsica (and you're welcome to join our hiking group, if you would like to :-) ).

Most restaurants should be open, as November is usually the closing month.

Events are a bit tricky: I usually check http://genova.mentelocale.it/, but it's in Italian. Anyway, if google translate does its job, you should be able to get some ideas there, on what to do in the evening.

Andy

PS: As for the negative, for Rapallo: there may be quite a few street sellers (especially on the sea promenade). And if you're looking for a quaint little village, Rapallo is not for you as there has been an abuse in the use of cement over the past decades (they even coined the word "rapallizzazione" to indicate those places where houses have been mindlessly built).

Vienna, Austria
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

Dear Andy,

Once again we would like to express our thanks to you :) . You are a real expert on this!

Have a nice Christmas holidays and enjoy your hiking :) We will let you know about it.

Regards!

Edited: 2:43 pm, December 12, 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting in December

I realize that you're already traveling, but for anyone else who may wonder about staying in CT in December, I wouldn't recommend it. We stayed in Riomaggiore two nights early this December. Aside from the cold temps, all of the trails between the villages were closed due to rock slides. Riomaggiore was dead. Only one restaurant was open in the evening. We took the train to the other villages, and enjoyed walking around, but we completed that excursion in one day. We're really glad we only stayed two nights, as there wasn't anything to do, and the weather wasn't conducive to strolling around in the evening. A day trip from a nearby city is a better plan.