We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most picturesque views in CT

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
109 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
most picturesque views in CT

my husband and i are traveling to the day to CT tomorrow and are interested in getting the best views of the town, cliffs and water. we are aware the blue trail is closed, but were wondering any recommendations for the best views/best photo ops. thanks in advance! ciao!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,777 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: most picturesque views in CT

the best photo op is coming into Vernazza from Monterosso

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: most picturesque views in CT

^If the Trail is closed how do you see Vernazza coming from Monterosso? All best views are either from above or from the ferry boat arriving. Suggest you may be able to climb the steps above Vernazza or Monerosso and look down on the places.

Some pics taken from the ferry.

http://tinyurl.com/Cinque-Terre-Pics

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: most picturesque views in CT

Also the views from the ferry are great!

Maidstone, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: most picturesque views in CT

I had a similar question but didn't think it worthy of it's own thread. I will ask it here if that's ok.

I will be travelling to CT with a 5 year old so all of the trails bar the Via Dell'Amore will be off limits. The other journeys will be done by train.

I would like to know if out of the trails that are open, if there is any decent photo opps within a 15 minute walk from the start of the trail?

I would happily do the 30 minute round trip to take some decent photos looking back on the village, but it would be a waste of precious time to do it for nothing.

Thanks for any info.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: most picturesque views in CT

I dont know when you are coming, but the Via DellAmore is also closed right now undergoing trail work. You can get amazing photos on the way up to the trail to Levanto without actually starting the trail...just follow the street up. Also, above Monterosso by the cemetery has great views.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,777 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: most picturesque views in CT

last time I hiked the trail I would have had no hesitation bringing a 5 year old -- it is not strenuous or dangerous hiking. I haven't seen it since the flooding and so perhaps things have changed. but 'hiking' is an overstatement of the challenges of the CT. and I was well into middle age the first time I did it and old the second time and our hiking partners were in their late 70s.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: most picturesque views in CT

I think it depends on your level of comfort and many other factors. Im under 30 and in great health and think that some parts of the trail are quite challenging and would not bring a 5 year old on them, but Ive seen people with babies strapped to their back doing them...I think it certainly constitutes a hike.

Maidstone, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: most picturesque views in CT

^^^ Thanks for that.

I will be there end of May, beginning of June. I was looking forward to being able to do at least one walk between the villages so I hope it opens up before then.

Edited: 1:02 pm, March 21, 2013
Maidstone, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: most picturesque views in CT

Time is also a factor in not walking the other longer trails. I may have taken my son on some of them if I had more days to spend in the area.

Although it is his holiday as well and I don't see the point in dragging kids on long walks if they are going to get too tired and not enjoy themselves.

I guess it depends on the kids and what they are used to.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: most picturesque views in CT

No, absolutely. I'm an adult and I complain halfway through :) Some of them are hours long and it just depends on the person (or child, I suppose). I hope everything will be open by May, but if not, I really recommend going up by the cappucin monestary and the cemetery. The views are breathtaking!