We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking train tickets by credit card

Limerick
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
booking train tickets by credit card

Help!

We are going to Italy next week and Trenitalia is refusing to accept bookings on both my and my husbands Mastercards for tickets from Milan to La Spezia..

What can we do?

Will we end up having to pay a more expensive fare on the day?The website quoted a reasonable 9 euro each, but refused payment.

Can anybody advise on this please?

Mary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

Have you advised your bank that you will be making foreign transactions with your credit card?

Limerick
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

No, I make foreign transactions regularly by credit card and this has never happened before. It seems to be a Trenitalia thing. Thank you for your reply. I will contact bank of Ireland and see if they can shed any light on this.

Thanks again,

Mary

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

If you search the TA forum, you will see that lots of people have trouble using their credt cards online at Trenitalia.

N California
Level Contributor
508 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

One thing I have found is that it may help to be a "registered" user with Trenitalia. While you don't have to create a TI id to buy tickets, it seems that with the id, TrenItalia can provide more info to the credit card company, which in turn makes it less likely to trigger the anti-fraud denial of the charge by the bank.

Limerick
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

Thanks for reply. I will try it at once!

Mary

Limerick
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

Weird, isnt it. Would have thought the Italians would be more tourist friendly.

Mary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

What do you mean? They have been offering crazy discounted fares and selling up a storm of tickets to tourists - this has nothing to do with Italians being "unfriendly" - which, by the way, they are not unfriendly. Quite an odd assumption just because the website is giving you trouble.

Not sure why you are having trouble with the Trenitalia website; I book and have been booking all my train tickets with them since they began accepting non-Italian credit cards - for a total of about 15 or 16 train trips over the course of three trips to Italy in the last year and have saved hundreds of euros. Hardly unfriendly in my opinion. And, I have never registered with Trenitalia.

Have you tried using a different computer? Maybe it is something to do with your browser or cookies or something - the website did have some problems awhile back when they were making some changes in fares, etc. but not many problems have been reported recently.

What is the site saying when you try to book now?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

"What do you mean? They have been offering crazy discounted fares and selling up a storm of tickets to tourists - this has nothing to do with Italians being "unfriendly" - which, by the way, they are not unfriendly. Quite an odd assumption just because the website is giving you trouble."

I have thought same thing as the OP. I get the impression that Trenitalia doesn't care about making the site foreign friendly. Previous posts have indicated that the problem with credit cards seems to be isolated to credit cards issued on foreign banks, and that there are no problems with credit cards issued from Italian ones.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

Well, I only that I have bought easily from the site and saved a ton of money as did some friends who went to Italy in November.

It only began to accept U.S. credit cards around Jan 2011 and on my last three trips since then, I've been buying online.

There were recent problems that cropped up but it seemed to be around when they changed from offering "mini" fares to "super economy" and "economy" fares and they seemed to have been having quite a lot of technical difficulties. Lately though, there have been few such posts though a number have mentioned that if one has a .net email address, there can be a problem - but was workable when the person used a .com email address instead.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,474 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booking train tickets by credit card

>>Previous posts have indicated that the problem with credit cards seems to be isolated to credit cards issued on foreign banks,<<

Actually, my impression is that the problem is with cards issued by US banks; and I wonder whether the problem is with Trenitalia or with the inability of many US banks to understand that their clients might want to buy from another country.

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre