We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions after the flood

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions after the flood

We are going to Italy this May for a 3 week visit. We had originally planned on visiting the Cinque Terre area but understand that 2 of the 5 villages have been severely damaged in Oct 2011. Can anyone provide an update as to the status of the area and whether it would be wise to give it a miss? Were the other 3 villages also damaged?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to stay in or around the Cinque Terre? many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions after the flood

If you scroll down just a little way, you will find recent reports on progress with rebuilding. The area should be fully restored well before May.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions after the flood

We visited the Cinque Terre before Christmas (December 2011) by spending a day on the train. The 3 southern villages are fine and open for trade, but realistically the northern 2 will take a long time to fully recover.

Vernazza is closed to tourists and although some locals in nearby regional centres talk it up that the village will be ready for summer trade 2012 this is very unlikely and others say at least 2 years before it is fully restored.

We got off the train at Monterosso and straight back on the next because although the beach in front of the "old" town was almost repaired, we could not even get into the township for the heavy construction work going on. The beach in front of the "new" town is still completely filled with rubbish and rubble but a concerted effort could see it repaired in time for summer.

We didn't need to purchase a Park ticket because the only path open when we were there was the lower path between Riomaggiore and Manarola. We were able to walk about 20m along the same path just around the headland from Manarola and could count at least 5 small landslides blocking the rest of the path to Corniglia. From the train itself I couldn't see the damage along any of the paths or into the towns themselves unfortunately to make an opinion as I was sitting on the water view side of the train plus we went through too many tunnels.

My advice is the region will benefit from your tourist Euros even if it is by supporting the businesses in nearby villages who hopefully may employ the villagers from Vernazza and Monterosso while the rebuilding is going on. Stay at any of the other villages along the regional train route between Sestri Lavante and La Spezia and take day trips to where you want to go as the villages along the Cinque Terre really are tiny.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions after the flood

Adding to this -perhaps in December the situation was different (I don't quite remember) but as of now, the beach in the new town of Monterosso is not filled with rubbish, is clean, and pretty much as it was before the flood. What the poster may have seen is the parking lot next to the soccer field, which is being used as a rubbish pile that is diminishing every day. Recent pictures are up on www.rebuildmonterosso.com and the town is committed to reopening by Easter - now they have a restaurant, several bars, hairdressers, supermarkets - and most of the residents happily back in their homes. The construction is going on heavily and quickly so the town can be ready in a few months - it's a good thing to not be able to get in because there is too much construction, trust me. It means things are getting done :)

Vernazza is planning by summer, and yes, this will take a while to be "fully" back to normal, I have never heard the "2 years" estimate. I think we really just need to see how much can get done during this off season. Everyone i s very determined that they will be open by summer, and the town is now open for non-residents, and some Vernazzans have returned to their homes.

There are other paths open aside from the main walk between the towns as well - there is not only Manarola to Riomaggiore open. The website for the parco nazionale delle Cinque Terre has information for each path - parconazionale5terre.it/…

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conditions after the flood

Also, www.rebuildmonterosso.com posted an update today about the trails, as well as a list of the ones open and fine at this moment

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,637 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Conditions after the flood

Congratulations Destination Expert for Cinque Terre and Monterosso al Mare cm28!!

Tanti auguri!

Vagabonda

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conditions after the flood

Hahaha, grazie mille Vagabonda! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,637 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Conditions after the flood

Well deserved cm28 - Auguri!

Vagabonda

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,647 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conditions after the flood

I am pleased for you following the covering of the recent problems of the area,

singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conditions after the flood

what is the situation now at Cinque Terre?? everyting back to normal?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conditions after the flood

Vernazza: http://savevernazza.com/traveladvisor/

Monterosso: rebuildmonterosso.com/p/visitors-information…