We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

Our flight is scheduled to arrive in Genoa (from Rome) at 18:50.

If I book and pay for a train ticket to La Spezia at 20:00 and we are delayed for some reason and miss that train can we use the ticket on the next train?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

Why would you want to prebook a train? Trains almost never sell out, and many trains on that route are Regionale trains without seat reservations.

Edited: 5:00 am, April 01, 2011
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,136 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

I submit that iof you need to go from Rome to La Spezia, it would be much faster (and more convenient) to train it directly, as opposed to:

- taking a train from Rome to FCO;

- flying to GOA;

- taking a bus from GOA to genoa's Prncipe train station

- taking a train to backtrack to La Spezia (and bear in mind that regional trains on this route can take up to 2 hours!).

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

Definitely quicker to go by train all the way from Rome.

But if you are coming from Genoa, do you really want to go to la Spezia? Most people who ask about this really want to go to the Cinque Terre, in which case you don't want to go to la Spezia at all. From Genoa, you almost always get off the train before la Spezia, at the particular Cinque Tere village that you want to reach.

Perth, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

Thank you everyone. We already have our plane tickets from FCO to Genoa so will be taking the train from there. It did work out significantly cheaper to fly to Genoa and then catch the train to La Spezia. Just checked the timetable and the train only takes about 1hr 15mins so not too bad.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

Hi Rose

Are you staying at La Spezia or one of the Cinque Terre towns?

A group of 4 of us from Perth, WA are staying at Manarola, Cinque Terre in late September.

I see you are new to Trip Advisor, welcome. You will find it the best travel resource ever and all the members will help you with your questions and the hotel reviews, and photos, are accurate. I don't go anywhere now without checking Trip Advisor.

Cheers

Pam

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

'"Significantly cheaper" to fly to Genoa and take a train, rather than take a train all the way from Rome?

Using the same type of train on both routes (InterCity) it's €36.50 from Rome to la Spezia., and from Genoa it's €9.50 plus a €6 airport bus in Genoa plus €14 train in Rome to get to the airport. So your plane ticket needs to cost "significantly" under €17.50.

Obviously, both cheaper and more expensive trains are also available on both routes.

London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

How easy is it for an English only speaker and a new traveller to get from Genoa to Bivio Lungoboro?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

Where? Place not recognizable. Have you spelt it right?

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

I did wonder, the only place called Bivio I got was a ski resort near Livigno and on Trenitalia a station on the way to Trieste

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel from Genoa airport to La Spezia

A bivio is normally just a road junction or a turn-off for somewhere - the Lungoboro is the problem. Thought it might be Lungoborgo - but there doesn't seem to be one near Genova. Tabatha needs to provide more detailed information.