We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from London to Cinque Terre

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from London to Cinque Terre

Hi,

My friend and I will be traveling to London for a few days and we then want to travel to Italy. Can you offer some suggestions on how to get there from London?

We will be going to Cinque Terre, Siena, Rome and then working out way down to Positano, Sorrento, etc. and then Tropea and home from there.

I am trying to figure out how to get from London into Italy without having to make too many stops along the way. I know that most trains go to Florence, Milan and Rome but I am wondering if there are any places near the south of France that we can go and then head to Cinque Terre?

What about Monaco to Cinque Terre or is there another place that isn’t expensive like Monaco?

Thanks.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from London to Cinque Terre

By far the easiest way from London to the Cinque Terre is to take a cheap flight. Pisa and Genoa are the nearest airports, with far more flights to Pisa - by Ryanair Easyjet and Britsh Airways. Ryanair and BA fly to Genoa. Do not compare the headline costs of these flights on their websites, as their baggage allowances and charges and other charges are very different - you need to make dummy bookings almost to the end to get realistic price comparisons.

If you want to go by train and go to the south of France first, take a train from Paris to anywhere on French Riviera, including Monaco. Most coastal towns have trains every 30 minutes to Ventimiglia in Italy, where you change trains for Genoa, where you change trains for the Cinque Terre. But a cheap flight from London to Nice (e.g. by Easyjet) would be much faster and easier unless you want to visit Paris on the way.

italy
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from London to Cinque Terre

There used to be a flight from London's City Airport into Torino. I don't know if it still exits. Trains from Torino to le Cinque Terre take between 2 and 3 hours.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from London to Cinque Terre

Flights from London to Turin are now from Stansted (Ryanair) and Gatwick (BA). There are also masses of flights from London to Milan, which is slightly closer than Turin to the Cinque Terre. But Pisa and Genoa are nearer still.

4. Re: Getting from London to Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 28, 2010