We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach near Cinque Terre

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Beach near Cinque Terre

We are travelling to Italy later this month but have yet to book accommodation. Our two teenagers like some time on the beach as well as exploring. Should we choose to stay in Cinque Terre - does it have any sandy beaches or coves for swimming/snorkelling? Or would it be better to stay further away and travel in. I am looking at Levanto and possibly Portovenere.

We have never visited this region so need a little expert help!

Many thanks

Jane

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach near Cinque Terre

I think you would be ok in monterosso as it has the best beaches in the cinque terre and they are certainly better than portovenere. although if you stay in portovenere you could get the boat to lerici which has better sandy beaches than monterosso

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach near Cinque Terre

I took my 15 and 17-year old daughters to CT in early June. We stayed in Vernazza in a room that was up 112 steps, but had the most divine terrace with a view of the entire town, the castle and the sea! Vernazza is at it's best first thing in the morning and in the evenings, when all the daytrippers leave. We visited all 5 towns, but agreed that Vernazza is the best place to stay. We hiked between Rio... and Manarola, did some deep water swimming in Manarola, hiked to Corniglia (there was a nudist beach way below the path - pretty much only OLD men), caught the train to Vernazza and took a 3 euro boat hop to Monterrosso, where we laid on the beach. It has the best sand beach. What my kids enjoyed most was renting a motorboat (42 euros, including gas) for 2 hours and cruising up and down the coast past all 5 towns. With the boat, you can explore caves and grottos, etc. on your own. I'm sure some of those places would have good snorkling opportunities. I believe you can also rent Zodiacs and kayaks.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach near Cinque Terre

By the way, here are our pictures. Just hit slideshow and zoom past Paris and Nice to get to Cinque Terre.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach near Cinque Terre

It would help if I included the link:

community.webshots.com/user/lizandalana

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach near Cinque Terre

That's really helpful. I enjoyed lloking at your lovely photos too! Do you have a contact for the accommodation in Vernazza?

Thanks

Jane

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach near Cinque Terre

I don't know what I did with all my stuff, but I got it out of Rick Steve's 2004 book. The lady we rented from (Elizabetta Carro and her husband) were not in the 2005 book for some reason. The room itself was pretty sparse and really odd-shaped. But we only paid 75 euros for 3 of us. It's normally 50 euros for 2. I hate recommending hotels because I'm cheap and don't need a fancy place to stay, as long as it's clean, safe and well-located. Any of the ones in Rick's book should be fine - lots of them have sea views. (If you don't want to buy his book - just go to the bookstore and write down some of the info. That's what I do. I buy one book and peruse the rest.)

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre