We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterosso or Vernazza

Cleveland, OH
8 posts
Save Topic
Monterosso or Vernazza

We will be staying in Cinique Terre for 3 days in May. I'm considering staying in Monterosso or Vernazza. I'm beginning to worry that I've waited too long to book! Many of the top recommendations are full already. I'm looking for something comfortable, but not overly expensive. I would appreciate any recommendations! Thanks

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

I always chose Vernazza, I'm completely in love with the place. There is a previous post that discusses alot of the rooms.

Good Luck!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

Ditto Vernazza.

melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

Vernazza definitely. It is so quaint and compact with the station, rooms, the waterfront and restaurants all within a five minute walk of each other. When there in November I noticed many rooms for rent. You just ring the owner direct. Not sure how many would be available in May though. I stayed at La Mala which is quite expensive but well worth it. Be prepared for lots of steep steps where ever you stay.

vernazza
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

Hello lilly

Look at Vernazza forum here may be you find the place you are looking for

mino from

Vernazza

Poggio a Caiano...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

Don't want to complicate things but why doesn't anyone consider Corniglia. Ok, it's not right on the sea but it's the less touristy,a lovely village and some really nice B&Bs at convenient prices.

The bus shuttles regular to and from station - and the best beach is right under Corniglia.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,189 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

I agree! Corniglia does offer the least touristy visit of all the towns, and it has some excellent restaurants, but it has three things against it.

Tourists visit the Riviera and the Cinque Terre to be on the water (and Corniglia isn't). Corniglia really doesn't offer as many accommodation options as the other towns, and though there's a shuttle to the train station, the 400 switchback steps to the station if you were to walk isn't ideal.

Vagabonda

Poggio a Caiano...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

Those steps are tough ( uphill) I agree but there is the shuttle alternative - I find the sense of hositality is much more genuine in Corniglia maybe because less crowded and touristy. As anywhere you go - it's now so much where you stay but how you stay.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,189 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

True Maria, and for the tourist willing to give it a try - you are correct, the hospitality is great in Corniglia!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Monterosso or Vernazza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 16, 2009