We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:00 pm, May 28, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

Parking the car in La Spezia is probably the best bet -- will save the strain of the winding narrow road into the CT towns. Each town will also have parking, but the drive there could be tricky -- I wouldn't want to do it. But parking in LS doesn't mean you must sleep there. You can hop the local train and stay in any of the towns. The drive from CT to Florence -- by train it's 3 hours; I'm not sure how that translates into car time. But enjoy CT -- it's a great place to unnip your head.

2. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

3. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

Oh golly, gee, I always wanted to be a star. Yes, park in La Spezia, train to the town of your dreams, and pick up the car on your way out. Of course, you COULD stay in LS and train in to CT during the day (only 15 minutes by train), but why would you want to? I can't find the info right now, but I believe I read you can park in a parking deck - something like 7-12 E per day. I hope I'm not making that up. If I run across the exact information, I'll post again.

5. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

check www.cinqueterre.com (click on the British flag) and www.cinqueterre.it which seem to have the most comprehensive lists of places. Rick Steves' guidebook lists many many more rooms and apartments (gives phone numbers and emails) that don't advertise online. I stayed at LaTorretta in Manarola -- excellent!

England
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

Shem - here's a better idea. Forget the car unless you want to get even more nipped. Take the train from Pisa (or Genoa - it's much the same). Stay a week. Go back to Pisa, then get the car.

No, wait, don't get the car yet. Take the train to Firenze (Florence). Enjoy. Or Lucca. Or Siena. Or Geneva.

Did I mention forgetting the car? there is never anywhere to park, the streets were built wide enough for a donkey with panniers. It'll just do your head in. The trains are fast, cheap, clean and on time. The roads aren't.

England
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

Oops! GenOva, not GenEva. = Genoa.

genoa
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

Hi!, I write you from Genoa.

I think the better thing is to find an Hotel In Pisa, so you can simply use trains to go to Florence or La Spezia, if you want have a base for your trips.

You can also decide, if you have a lot of time to arrive in Genoa and stay there two or three days, after move to Levanto "the gate of Cinque Terre" and stay there and after go to Pisa and/or Florence as you like more.

From Genoa or Levanto you can also visit Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure, Rapallo, Genoa have one of the biggest medieval historical centre of Europe and you'll be amazed from it and the quantity of palaces, churches and art.

This is what Gustave Flaubert wrote in 1845 to a friend…"I saw a wonderful road, the Aurelia way, and now I am in a beautiful city. I am walking on the marble, everything is marble: stairs, balconies, palaces… in other moments (I really don’t know which ones) I would have thought less and watched more. Here I just stare at everything simply and naively and maybe it’s better".

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cinque terre help needed from an Edinburgh woman with a...

We spent two nights in Vernazza last summer. Theoretically you can take your car to the edge of the villages, but except perhaps for Monterosso, it is impractical as there is little parking, it is expensive, and the train will take you closer to your accommodations than the parking lot will. We left our car in Levanto (just to the north) and took the train in. The trains run about once an hour, and the trip to Vernazza took about 15 minutes. There was a charge for parking at the station, but it was quite manageable. I assume the same arrangement is available in La Spezia, but I don't have any personal experience. It is also quite convenient to take the train to Cinque Terre from further away, but I don't know the specifics on where they stop and what arrangements are required. I would expect you can get a train from Genoa or Pisa, and maybe even from Florence, but I don't have the specific information.

There are many places to stay in Vernazza, all requiring you to get your luggage up the stairs. We stayed in a room (one of four) owned by Martina Callo, 0187-812-365, right on the main piazza. Our room (for four people) was at the top with 68 steps from the room to the Piazza. The room was neat and clean, with some atmosphere, but not elaborate. There are a number of other similar accommodations also, but no big hotels, thank God. The piazza was right on the beach and harbor, with several restaurants all around.

We loved Vernazza and Cinque Terre. There are plenty of tourists around, but even in early July when we were there, there were plenty of locals and you knew you were in Italy.

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre