We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

Plainview, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

I will be in Italy for 11 days: 4 days in Rome, 3 days in Florence and then i have 4 days left. I will be traveling from Florence and will definitely hit Venice. Would really like to go to one other place and i think Cinque Terre would be fantastic. Do you think it is viable to leave for Cinque Terre on Thursday morning, and leave Cinque terre on friday early afternoon fir Venice? is it worth it to spend so little time there. I am thinking it is about 3 hours from Florence. Then i would take the train from Cinque terre to Venice, arrive friday afternoon and leave Venice Sunday afternoon. Like i said, Venice is a definite trip, just not sure if time wise, cinque terre would be worthwhile or just too rushed. We will not be doing extensive hiking since i have a problem with my knee. Would love to see the nestled seaside villages. any assistance/guidance you could provide would be appreciated! i am traveling in April 2013

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,361 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

I wouldn't waste the time on it. It's over 5 hours to get from Manarola to Venice. That's most of the day. Add that to the time it takes to get from Florence to the Ct and you're spending one day traveling and not site seeing. I would skip the CT this trip and just go to Venice.

Donna

Edited: 9:01 am, March 18, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

Hi,

You will need to cut one of your destinations due to your time limit.

If you want to see " Would love to see the nestled seaside villages " I suggest you head down to Santa Margherita from Florence & stay there for 4 days as this gives you plenty of time to visit the villages of Portofino, Camogli, & Cinque Terre which are all easily accessible from SM. You will need to take a train from Florence to SM & change at Pisa www.trenitalia.com

or just go to Venice & enjoy this fabulous city.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

As you said, Venice is definite, so spend your time there instead of on a train or in a station.

Plainview, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

ya thats what i was afraid of. However i don't think i need 4 full days in Venice. What recommendations might you have for an overnight, someplace between Venice and Florence. OR should i spend 4 days in Venice and are there any day trips from Venice that would be worthwhile? i will be planning on going to morano and those islands on one day? heard there might be a proseca winery nearby. any advice would be appreciated.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

I would sooner go to CT than spend 4 days in Florence however, "We will not be doing extensive hiking since i have a problem with my knee" says it all.

Even just visiting the villages in CT involves a lot of walking, much of it up & down steep streets or steps. Even if you don't go on the trails, it's not the easiest place to walk around. The last thing you want to do on a holiday is aggravate a bad knee. You will have enough walking in Rome, Florence & Venice to worry about so skip CT, take Italy slowly and enjoy.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

Suggest you break your journey between Florence and Venice with an overnight stopover in Lucca, a very attractive walled city. About 1hr 30 from Florence and about 4 hours to Venice. I agree that spending 4 days of your limited time in Venice may be more than you want to spend but you certainly of not got time to fit in the over-hyped CT villages.

Edited: 10:59 am, March 18, 2013
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
704 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

You can easily spend 4 days in Venice alone....but if you wanted variety you could head to Burano, Murano or the Lido. Or by train to Trieste.

8. Re: Can i fit Cinqu terre and venice in 4 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 20, 2014