We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

kent
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

1st time to Italy. Will be joining husband in Nice at the end of his conference and we fancy driving to Italy instead of staying in Nice again..Can anyone suggest places to stay which are within an hour of Nice. We enjoy resorts which have a promenade, enough to keep our interest for a few days, good restaurants, a sea view, a few lively bars.

Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,501 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Just over an hours drive is San Remo www.sanremoguide.it/the-city-of-san-remo

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Within one hour of Nice you have a very limited choice indeed. Of these, Bordighera is by far the nicest, with a long promenade, much of which is pedestrian, and some good restaurants. I think it's the only one which may suit you - it has a lot of charm, though it's not particularly lively.

Your only other choices are Ventimiglia and Vallecrosia, the first of which is very much a town for border commerce rather than a conventional tourist resort, with building works for a new marina along what is possible the nicest part of the promenade, while in Vallecrosia you will struggle even more than in the others to find lively bars and there is a limited choice of restaurants - this again is not really a major tourist destination.

About fifteen minutes over the hour is San Remo, and forty minutes over is Alassio, both of which are well worth considering.

kent
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Thankyou for the information .imperia had caught my attention .do you know how long it would take to drive there .in the meantime I Will research the places you suggested .

kent
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Thankyou for the information .imperia had caught my attention .do you know how long it would take to drive there .in the meantime I Will research the places you suggested .

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Imperia is about an hour from Nice. Lovely little place with incredibly old architecture. Walking through the streets is interesting, with some incredible features. If you go make sure you try the local specialties farinata and Torte Verda. There are also some lovely coastal drives in either direction also.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Another vote for Bordighera, it's a lovely town and ticks all your boxes.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Imperia is about one and a quarter hours from Nice. It is divided into two almost entirely separate halves - Porto Maurizio with a cathedral and old town on a hill by the sea with the yacht harbour below, and Oneglia where most shops are and with the old commercial harbour and the pasta and olive oil factories. In Oneglia there is a colonnaded promenade with good restaurants along the harbour, which continues out of town past the beach.

Imperia itself is not a major destination for tourists, as it's somewhat industrial and a little shabby in parts.

kent
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Mmmm. Very interesting reading.I don,t want to jeopardise our short break and first taste of Italy by sticking rigidly to an hour. What would be your top 2 destinations within let's say 2 hours. would Portofino be in there?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Portofino takes at least three hours, more if the traffic around Genoa is bad which it not infrequently is. Anyway, it's a tiny village - though in a very beautiful situation and with some wonderful (and expensive) hotels.

Within two hours, for your criteria perhaps San Remo and Alassio, with a preference maybe for Alassio..

Personally I might prefer Bordighera or Finale Ligure., but they are quieter. Of course we don't know when you're going - in August nowhere is quiet, this time of year, all these places are, except for San Remo which is a local centre and this week is hosting its yearly national song festival, and maybe Alassio on fine weekends

kent
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: place to stay - under an hours drive from Nice

Thank you again. We are going mid march. So would want to be somewhere where the bars and restaurants are open. You have helped narrow down the coastline now. Seems like the last possible point would be alassio. What about Diana marina?