We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train pass advice

Montreal
4 posts
Save Topic
train pass advice

We are planning to buy a France/Italy train pass (eurail) for the days we travel from place to place, and wonder if anyone has advice for doing this from Canada before we leave (end June)? We will probably use it for 4 trip (Paris to Marseilles; Nice to Venice; Venice to Florence; and Florence to Rome). I see there is a 4 day pass to be used within 2 months. Is one site better than another to purchase from? Should we splurge for the 1st class pass, or is 2nd class ok? Should we expect premiums on the more common/faster routes? How much? Is the pass worth it for this type of travel? Should we book the actual trains ahead of time, or just show up?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: train pass advice

If you are buying point to point one-way tickets as your post indicates you will probably save money purchasing your tickets indiviually.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,699 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train pass advice

not to mention you can get the pass from your local travel agent in Montreal. Why spend extra on courier fees? (if you still insist on a rail pass, that is)

Montreal
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train pass advice

Thank for the advice - on further investigation, and with help on this site's France Forum, I was able to save a ton of money over the cost of the rail pass. I encourage others to dig deeper, an avoid Rail Europe - as advised on the France forum,I agree - it is overpriced!

4. Re: train pass advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 29, 2009