We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Far East Film Festival

Which Udine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Far East Film Festival

Planning to attend the Far East Film Fest in Udine next year. Unfortunately, I am only able to attend the either the first two days (last week of April) or the last 2 days (2nd week of May).

I have never visited Italy before and would like to know the best way to travel from Chicago. Currently prefer to fly into Trieste as this looks to be beautiful city - also not planning to drive. How is the public transport?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Far East Film Festival

Trieste is one of my favourite cities in Europe, and in my opinion, is a little hidden gem. The airport is a regional airport, and is located about 40 min. to the west of the city. (At that point, you are already about 2/3 of the way between Trieste and Udine.), however it might be easier to take the airport express bus into Trieste and then head back to Udine, at some later point, on the train. You should be able to do well using public transport. Busses and trains are ample and frequent. The bus station and train station are located accross from each other in Trieste, and you are within walking distance of the either Hotel Roma or the Jolly Hotel, both of which I can recommend.

Getting to Trieste (Ronchi) from Chicago would be a challenge, especially at that time of the year, as you are pre-season, and it's a 'regional' airport. (There is sometimes direct flight from Toronto, but not that early in the season.). You may end up having to fly to Venice, and then take the train to Udine (about 2 hours). Check some of the websites (i.e. sidestep.com) to see what might work for you.

Enjoy the film festival.

2. Re: Far East Film Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, March 13, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Udine