We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for town to visit

Which Trieste hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SC
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for town to visit

We will be flying into Trieste before going to Portoroz, Slovenia this summer. We're thinking about coming in a couple of days early and visiting someplace in Italy. It would need to be someplace we could get to by train or bus from Trieste. We love the mountains as well as the coast, along with good Italian food! Any suggestions??

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

Quite frankly, Trieste is somewhat of a hidden jewel of Europe (in my opinion), and you just might enjoy your time exploring the city itself. If you enjoy the beach, take the bus to nearby Grado (beach resort). Since it is the summer, it will be busy. Try to go on a weekday.

If you are going to Potoroz, be sure to visit nearby Piran. I recommend restaurant Ivo. It's on the pier.

Enjoy your trip.

SC
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

Thank you, Tutman, for the recommendations!

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

Tutman knows the area better than most locals. Invaluable suggestions!

If you have a spare day and you've never been to Venice, you might want to catch a train and check it out. Just to be able to say you've been there. No matter if you like it or not, I think it's still something unique, which it's worth to check out. It's just a short (a couple of hours) train trip.

With this said, from Trieste, you can also easily reach the following through public transportation:

- Grado (nice beach town): bus/boat

- Lignano (nice, crowded beach town): bus/boat

- Udine: train

Have fun!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

I would second the Udine suggestion. I had lunch there last year and wish I could have spent more time. Very charming.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

Also, a nice stop not too far away can be Treviso.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
397 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

Tutman, I see that you mean Trieste is a hidden jewel. I've been there once and found the city a bit messy. Maybe I was at the wrong places? What part of the town is the most beatiful? What is the top 3 "must" see?

We will be back to Trieste this summer (only for one day in july) but our plan is to just drive through, unless you are able to persuade us not to.

Miramare Castle was marvellous!

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

If you don't want to go wrong dining and sipping local wines, choose Cormons(still good for a day trip from Trieste.

8. Re: Recommendations for town to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, April 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Trieste