We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night trains

Montreal
Level Contributor
205 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Night trains

Hi-

We will be in Trieste for a few days but flight back to Canada on July 27th leaves from Rome (FCO). I have been researching the best way to get to Rome-and left it late bcs the price of an airline ticket (Trieste-Rome on Al-Italia) has doubled since last few days. I am now considering the Night Train. It leaves Trieste at 21:54 and gets to Rome around 7am. We then have to get from the train station to the Airport; so I would hope to find a shuttle bus.

Our flight leaves at 2pm and have to be at airport for 11am..so, I think the night train is the only option.

Could anyone please tell me if the night train is reliable? I'm not usually worried, except we have an international flight to catch!! Also, the best way to get from rome train station to airport (FCO) - or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Night trains

The night train arrives at Roma Tiburtina (not the normal Rome train station) from where there are direct trains to Fiumicino Airport. The advertised connection on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html (if you look for a journey from Trieste to Fiumicino Airport) arrives at the airport at 9.55, if the train from Trieste arrive on time. There are trains every 15 minutes from Tiburtina to the airport.

This is cutting it very fine indeed to make a transatlantic flight. Sounds too risky to me - I'd train or fly the previous day.

Edited: 1:32 am, June 28, 2011
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,028 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night trains

I think you would be ok provided that your night train gets to Rome in the morning. However, if you are somewhat risk averse, getting to Rome the night before is good advice. Night trains aren't comfortable anyway so taking one before a long-haul flight might not be what you need.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,294 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night trains

Just make sure you book a couchette or sleeper definitely not a seat. Then the night train option should work fine.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Night trains

It should work fine, but there is a chance that it will not. Things happen.

If you risk it, you might wish to buy travel insurance which will fully cover you if you miss your plane. To make your desired 11 am airport time, you only have one hour security time on a train journey of ten hours. And it is likely you will have to buy new and very expensive last-minute tickets to Canada if you miss your plane.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night trains

Al-Italia?! LOL :-)

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night trains

You should be ok. Delays usually aren't worse than 30 minutes or so. I've been involved in a tractor breakdown on that night train a few years ago, in a quite remote area. At the end, we've had a 3h delay. And I'd say that's the worst kind of delay which could happen. And you should still be able to catch your flight. You better be there 3 hours in advance, but I've jumped on planes for intl flights from Italy 1.30h to 2h before they left. So you should still be able to do that.

As @perilizia points out, a travel insurance can be a smart idea though.

7. Re: Night trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 06, 2012