We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail travel from London

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rail travel from London

Starting to plan this years trips and feel Bologna is a must, however after both of last years trips were ruined by air travel we have decided to take the eurostar from london to paris and travel overnight by train to Bologna. Would love to hear from anyone else who has done the journey and might have any tips before I actually book, will worry about hotels later, also is it better to visit mid June or late July, could do either?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
82 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail travel from London

I travel a lot on night trains back and forth from Italy and they're hardly luxurious, I think the same carriages since the 1950s or thereabouts - god knows when they are going to modernise, especially considering the monstrous cost. However, my trip from Bologna to Paris was eventful - a guy tried to throw himself off the train when we were at dinner, which meant everyone's red wine went everywhere, except mine - Scottish reflexes got me to the bottle in a flash. I think the food was ok, the wine certainly helped. I don't know if the dining car is still running, a lot of night trains have phased them out, but if you stock up with baguettes & wine in Paris you should be ok, just don't expect the Orient Express. I'd go in June - July could be hot, hot, hot, especially the way the weather is going this year in Italy.

2. Re: Rail travel from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 23, 2009