We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

If I have already booked a reserved seat on a train, what time should I plan to arrive at the station, to allow enough time to make my way to the correct platform etc. (will have wife, 3yr old and luggage in tow!) EG. If its an 8.32am train, I was thinking to walk in the front doors about 8.15.

For regional trains where I will buy a ticket when I get to the station, how long should I arrive before the scheduled departure for these trains? Are there often queues to buy tickets?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

Even when I know a station well, I always arrive about 15 minutes prior to departure, that is about when the binario (track) number will be posted.

Haven't been on a regional train in a long time but when I used to use them all the time, I'd get there about 30 minutes before departure time. I don't know what the lines are like to buy them these days - If using machines to buy tickets, people from the US can't usually use the machines because we don't have chip and pin cards yet (well, some do, but most don't) so would need to buy from a customer representative.

CA
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

On the departure board, look for the number of the train.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
918 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

30 minutes before for fast trains because the new part of the station is far from the main entrance, you'll have to look for the lifts or walk and use the mobile escalator...not so easy the 1st time.

For regional: always 30 min, there are always queues, but you can use automatic machines (cash or bancomat and maybe credit cards with pin no normal ones), but not to easy to use as well the 1st time.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

Bologna is a big train station. Parts of it was crowded. I would arrive 30 min ahead of time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Does anyone know by chance if the same timeframe would apply for Verona, or is it substantially smaller?

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
918 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

Verona is smaller but there are also less desks....I would keep the same time; to catch the train then it's easier because you have just a few lines, but do not arrive to late in any case.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

Thank you!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

From experience,if you are not buying your ticket from an automatic machine the quese can be very long,You can always buy the ticket the night before you leave, this takes the stress out of it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

Hi i just came back from Bologna where i based myself for one month to take advantage of its great train connections. One thing to remember is for regional trains you must validate each ticket before boarding. Its easy to forget and a good habit to get into from the start

10. Re: How early to arrive at Bologna Centrale before departure?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 25, 2015