We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

Hi

We are looking for suggestions for a small charming town to spend 1 week. Somewhere that has a few shops and restaurants but not overly touristy.

We will be in Bologna initially, so were thinking of somewhere in Tuscany or Umbria or even somewhere closer to Bologna.

We will be relying on public transport.

Thank you!

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

I suggest you to visit Ferrara as a delicious town to visit, everything is at walking distance.

Here you can read an article about it: "Why less-visited Ferrara is as fabulous as Florence" theguardian.com/travel/2009/jun/28/florence-…

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
894 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

When are you coming?

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

Late April

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
894 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

One week in a small town maybe too much.

Ferrara for istance is very nice but you can see everything in one day.

If you want to know Emilia Romagna better you could include Ferrara, Ravenna and also Rimini: too early to take a bath here but already very nice to see the sea.

Otherwise if you prefere Umbria and Toscana, excluding Florence and other crowded cities you could choose Arezzo and Cortona or Orvieto and Viterbo (Lazio).

The easiest to visit by public transport is Emilia Romagna

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
472 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

Ferrara is charming, but you can esaily visit it in a day trip from Bologna. And after staying in Bologna, Ferrara may like too similar.

I suggest Perugia. It is a lovely town, known but not too touristy, very different from Bologna and suitable for a lot of trips in Umbria. There are no direct train connections Bologna-Perugia, but it is doable anyway.

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

I agree with Silvia1969, Emilia Romagna is easiest to move by public transport while for Tuscany or Umbria you would need a car.

In Tuscany you could see the villages in Val d'Orcia, one of the best tuscan places I like more, and April-May is the best time of the year for the surrounding nature (green hills and yellow flowers). Those villages are very little, you can visit them in half a day so you would need the car to move from one to another.

In Umbria you could spend a day visiting Lake Trasimeno and its islands, Gubbio is wonderful, Assisi is a must see and Orvieto is nice for the cathedral and for its external view.

A nice 1 week trip would be:

- Ferrara

- Ravenna

- San Marino

- Gubbio in the morning and Assisi in the afternoon

- heading to Val d'Orcia passing through Trasimeno Lake, Montepulciano (or you could visit Montepulciano the next day)

- Pienza and other surroundings

If you have to come back to north for the plane, Siena is a nice town to visit too or if you're heading south you could visit Orvieto.

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

The link about San Marino that tripadvisor has enghliten in my post is not correct, here is the right one: tripadvisor.it/Tourism-g187809-City_of_San_M…

And in reply to Aristofane, Ferrara nor Ravenna are similar to Bologna at all. Maybe Modena could be similar to Bologna.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
472 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

I didn't say it's similar, I say it may look similar. Anyway the impression that may give Perugia is quite different, at least because it lies in mountain and not in flatland.

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

Thank you, Is it easier to get to Perugia from Rome with public transport?

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
894 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bologna to Tuscany or Umbria

A bit more easier: half trains are direct half are not; the easiest way is from Florence.

As for S. Marino in my opinion is not very interesting compared to all the other towns suggested, a bit a tourist trap, and always really crowded.

Edited: 8:53 am, November 28, 2013