We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna and Venice for one week

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
579 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bologna and Venice for one week

I am hoping to plan a trip from 3/14/13 to 3/22/13 to Bologna and Venice. I would like to spend 3 nights in venice and 4 nights in Bologna. Thinking about flying Boston to Venice and then Bologna to Boston to avoid backtracking. I don't know if this will be more expensive and worth it.

I am hoping to visit my niece who is studying in Bologna but would like a side trip to Venice. There will be also my husband and 19 yr old dtr with me. I would also like some suggestions as to how to plan my time in each city. My husband would like to attend a Serie A soccer game. I don't know the first thing about arranging this.

Any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bologna and Venice for one week

First, get yourself a good guidebook so you can read up on what to see/do in each city - Bologna is such a delight!

You can take the train between the cities - use www.trenitalia.com to see schedule; click on the little UK flag for English, use the station names Bologna Centrale and Venezia S Lucia, put a low number like 6 in the box for the hour to see a full day schedule.

You can either buy your train tickets in advance on lines but if so, do read the terms and conditions re: changes and refunds for the different levels of price. Buying earlier than later will likely give you the chance to get some good discounted fares - no need at all for first class.

You can look over the site below to get some idea about train travel in Italy:

roninrome.com/transportation/train-travel-it…

Mentioned in this post
Bologna Centrale
Bologna Centrale
43 Reviews
Bologna, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Italy
Italy
Europe
Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bologna and Venice for one week

check also Italo treno: www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx

As for football Venezia is not in A, Bologna is but it plays outside that weekend; in any case usually tickets are sold just 1 week before more or less and you must go in person with a document no possibilities of doing it on line.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bologna and Venice for one week

Hi, some tips about the soccer match. Usually the matches of "serie A" are scheduled in the week end, so in your case 03/16/14 (I suppose you will travel next year... not 6 months ago... :-D ). The official day is usually Sunday, but often some matches are anticipated to Saturday, so when you will be close to the departure you must check again.

Bologna will not play at home that week end. The closest matches to Bologna will be:

- Fiorentina - Chievo in Florence

- Hellas Verona - Inter in Verona

- Sassuolo - Catania in Reggio Emilia.

None of this one is a "top match" :-( But they should be cheaper :-)

Usually tickets can be purchased one week before even on some vendors located in any city, like LisTicket, TicketOne, Lottomatica... You can purchase the ticket directly in any store; someones allow you to purchase it even on-line. There is even Viagogo, but you purchase a voucer and you must use it to have your ticket at the stadium box office (I never use it, I don't know exactly how it work).

Bye

Riccardo

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Reggio Emilia
Reggio Emilia
Province of Reggio Emilia, Italy
Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bologna and Venice for one week

A little update: I didn't know Viagogo before. Seems interesting so I check on-line for some reviews.... the most are very bad. It isn't a ticket vendor but a reseller who don't check from where the ticket comes and seems there are often problems. So: better don't use this service for that soccer matches.

rishon
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bologna and Venice for one week

what about a match milano v genoa

thank you

nava

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
579 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bologna and Venice for one week

Thank you all so much regarding the soccer matches. As it gets closer, I will put my husband on the task.

7. Re: Bologna and Venice for one week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 28, 2014