We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

San Francisco
9 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

We are staying outside of Bologna and have one extra day to visit either Modena, Parma, or Ferrara. We are a young family traveling with our four year old son. We enjoy just walking around historic areas, seeing little shops, people watching, and having a nice casual lunch. With our son in tow, we are less interested in visiting lots of churches and museums -- just want to go to the place with the most beauty and atmosphere. What do you all recommend?

This visit will be this weekend on either Saturday or Sunday (recommendations of which days to go also welcome!).

Thank you!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
840 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

Please take a look to these topics:

- tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187801-i508-k4184…

- tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187801-i508-k64… Help_in_planning_a_tour_in_Bolognia_and_surrounding-Bologna_Province_of_Bologna_Emilia_Romag.html

Brun066

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

Parma is truly a lovely and gracious town, and you could enjoy a full day in Parma.

tripadvisor.com/…38960544

Vagabonda

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

Not sure when this visit is (am I too late?) ....I've just been to Parma and Ferrara and I personally much preferred Parma. But maybe a 4-year-old would like the castle in Ferrara?

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
947 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

I prefere Ferrara, even more with one kid

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

Hopefully wholeventures will report back....

Ferrara is also lovely...

Everyone has a favourite, so when deciding it's best to gather information, look at photos, and draw your own conclusion for which best suits your preference.

But Parma has parks, and lots for kids to see and do like the Castello dei Burattini puppet and marionette museum.

http://www.castellodeiburattini.it/index.asp

http://parmamia.blogspot.com/p/kids.html

Vagabonda

6. Re: Day Trips: Modena, Parma or Ferrara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 30, 2014