Booked and prepaid for a car for 5 days from Avis Bologna Airport via British Airways Executive Club website as an "Avis Preferred" customer.
On arrival was handed keys and car condition report that showed just one scratch on the rear bumper/fender. On inspecting the very dirty car in the very dark basement garage there were 8 more very obvious, prominent dents and scratches on the bodywork and wheels, and the entire reversing light and fitting was missing. Trekked back the 150 meters to the desk with the amended form which was accepted and countersigned without question by the local manager (Syl***). My query as to why the inspection was so inaccurate and the car dirty was ignored with a shrug of the shoulders.
Discovered an hour later in the rain that both windscreen wipers were totally worn out and distorted and juddered continuously despite local attempts to reset them.
On return five days later Syl*** refused to inspect the vehicle and sign it off ("Too busy"), but at my insistence - due to my total distrust of their inspection regime - agreed to do so if I waited 30 minutes. This I did and all was signed off. She then insisted that I had to pay €235 for the rental: she would simply not believe that I had paid in full, nor check my booking on her computer. Eventually I managed to provide the BA receipt and credit card statement and with the worst possible grace she wrote "Paid" on my agreement form and turned her back on me.
1. Just because it is Avis (the official BA car rental partner), trust them no more than the worst rental company you have ever experienced: your "Preferred" status means nothing.
2. ALWAYS check your car very carefully and have the amended condition form countersigned even if in a hurry.
3. ALWAYS have the condition, fuel etc.signed off on return: do not trust anybody.
4. If out of hours, photograph the bodywork and fuel gauge/mileage cluster.
5. IF I had not checked the car condition on collection and then had just handed the keys in on arrival I would have been charged for old damage and then paid twice for the entire rental - and all this from AVIS!
I now understand that Bologna Airport Avis is a franchise and not directly company-managed. It is clearly not AVIS- supervised either. You will pay more to hire from them but you will get low-grade service and a tatty car. I suggest you try Hertz or Sixt instead