We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

Sunderland.
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

Can anyone give me a few pointers to any former Battlefields, Monuments, Wartime graves, etc close to Bologna/Rimini/San Marino, etc. I have a car and will be arriving mid march.

I understand that there was fighting around this area as the Allies pushed the Germans northwards during the latter part of the war. Any information as always appreciated. I've checked on google and what I can find is much further south. Thanks.

Cheers

ITS

Porta Galliera
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Monumento a Luigi Galvani
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Porta Lame
Monuments & Statues
Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
938 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

I don't think there is any battlefield to visit in Emilia Romagna.

As for monuments there is one in Marzabotto near Bologna, there is the Poland cementery in S. Lazzaro always near Bologna and maybe also a Greek one in Romagna near Riccione or Rimini

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

Have a look at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) site. Click on the name of the cemetery to get the details.

www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery.aspx?cpage=1

As an aside we went to the CWG cemetery near Lake Bolsena and like all their cemeteries it was beautifully maintained and a thought provoking place to visit..

Bologna
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Line

for some background infos.

Sunderland.
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

Thanks again for all of your replies, much appreciated. I've now managed to find a few now that I know how to navigate round the CWGC site which actually is quite easy to use. I can now work on a plan. There's more than I thought.

"We will remember them"

Cheers

ITS

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

Hi, I don't know exactly which museums are present in Romagna, but there are several places you can visit. I know better the ones in Modena, but you need to speak a little of Italian to read the sevarl web pages and understand which is more interesting for you.

- This is a good start point for our province: …modena.it/iststor/page3.php… . It's a list of places and museums.

- this is a webpage of a museum in Castel del Rio (Bologna's privince): museodellaguerradicasteldelrio.it/museo.php

- in Montese (Modena's province) there is a small museum and a fortified area that can be visited: …montese.mo.it/web_italiano/itinerari_didatt…

- this is another list of museums: https:/…musei

- interesnting could be even the Fossoli's camp: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_di_Fossoli

Ravenna, Italy :(
Level Contributor
739 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

(free admittance!) Resistance and Senio battle museum in Alfonsine is truly worthwhile a stop. Reminding Momuments and WWII-related Graves are kinda common (unless you'd like to look for foreign soldiers' cemeteries, sparsely located, separated upon each nationality).

fiercest fights in the East, they had been fought in Rimini (+its surroundings) and Argenta, nonetheless Comacchio area between the town and 'Porto Garidbaldi'.

Great Britain
Level Contributor
142 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

The Greek cemetery in Riccione is tiny and more like a statue to be honest. Horrible location on a main road by some very busy traffic lights. It's situated in between Riccione and Misano.

The British Cemetery on the other hand is beautifully kept. I believe it is home to approximately 1,900 fallen British soldiers.

I know that it is completely different and I don't wish to offend, but as you have a car you're not that far away from Predappio, the birth place of Il Duce, Benito Mussolini. Ignoring that, Piangipane in Ravenna has a Commonwealth Cemetery which includes a Jewish Infantry Brigade, again, approximately 1000 fallen. Ravenna is a fantastic place to visit anyway and I would certainly recommend a visit anyhow. Any other questions regarding Romagna and I might be able to assist.

Ravenna, Italy :(
Level Contributor
739 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

and Piangipane is few miles away from Alfonsine where you could visit the mentioned earlier museum :)

Are you so fond of Romagna, misterhyde? :p

Great Britain
Level Contributor
142 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

I am an avid collector of Ceramica Faentina and visit Faenza regularly. I have my base in Rimini which has been my second home since the early 80's. I know it very, very well.

10. Re: WWII Battlefields, Monuments and Graves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 04, 2014