We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

I know this is way in advance, but I just booked my September, 2013 trip to Italy today, and I'm dreaming about it. After Venice, I was thinking about spending 4 days in Bologna. I checked the trade fair schedule and noticed there was a trade fair scheduled for Fri., Sept. 7 through Tues., Sept. 10 - it's the 25th SANA International Exhibition of Organic and Natural Products. I've read on this forum that hotels are more expensive during trade shows. So if I were to plan to arrive in Bologna on Wed., Sept. 11, are hotel rates likely to have gone back down to their normal rates? Or do the rates tend to stay high for a couple of days after the fairs are over? Thanks for your help!

Dallas
Level Contributor
180 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

I have faced the same for a trip soon after yours for both Bologna and Verona, and have juggled dates to avoid those rates. In my case, i found the day after usually returned to normal. But all the hotels have those major trade show dates easily at their disposal andcan tell you exactly what day their rates return to earth.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

nmlhats - thanks for responding, but, for the most part, the hotel websites are not showing rates so far in advance, and.it doesn't make sense for me to e-mail any hotels at this point, because it's too early in the planning process. I was just hoping to get some feeling for what I might be able to expect in Bologna because of the trade fair issue. It would be difficult to juggle dates too much because of the geography - that is, I'm travelling from north to south, flying into Venice, then train to Bologna, and then flying home from Rome. So I'm sort of stuck with Bologna being in the middle of the trip (unless I substitute some other city entirely). However, I was hoping, as you suggested, that hotel rates would return to normal the day after the show ends, in which case my plan will work fine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

nmlhats - out of curiosity, I checked the Bologna hotel you mentioned in the thread that you started (Al Capello Rosso), and they did show rates for Sept., 2013 on their website. Oddly enough, their rates were lower on the first 2 days of the trade show (126 euros for Sept. 7 and 8), then went up to 144 euros on the second 2 days of the trade show, and remained at 144 euros for the 2 days following the trade show, then went back down to 126 euros after that. However, the 18 euro difference is not significant enough to bother me, so I hope that there won't be that significant a difference with other hotels as well. The first couple of hotels I checked were not showing rates for that time period yet, but apparently there are some that do. I did notice that the rate at Al Capello jumped to 477 euros a night during the trade show at the end of Sept. So perhaps the SANA trade show is not as popular as the later trade show. Thanks again for your help.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

Well I've now answered my own question. A number of hotels did have their rates posted for September, and there didn't seem to be much, if any, increase during the period of the SANA show. However, rates did go up drastically during the late Sept. trade show. So it looks as if I can keep Bologna on my itinerary!

Dallas
Level Contributor
180 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

Yeah, the rates in Verona during the marble show were 100 euros higher than the dates just before and after (138 vs 238!). I spent much of my life in a retail/design business whose fortunes largely followed the ebbs and flows of the convention and tourism crowds in New Orleans, so I know about how hotel rates can double from one day to the next. I had to make myself all kinds of color-coded charts to figure out how to strategically avoid trade shows in both cities and at the same time manage to be in Bologna for a major feast day. I will be leading a group of people on a moderate budget, so I was keen to keep the costs down for them.

Also, if you are looking for rates that are somewhat beyond what is shown on a hotel website, you can always email them to ask for rates on future dates. They are usually happy to oblige.

Edited: 2:56 pm, December 06, 2012
Dallas
Level Contributor
180 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

Even if you don't know the precise dates, they can usually tell you which ones to avoid because they have the trade show calendar so far in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

Thanks, nmlhats.

8. Re: Avoiding Higher Hotel Rates during Trade Shows (Sept. 2013)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 17, 2013