We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar - worst car rental ever

In October 2012 I suffered my worst car rental experience ever. It was with Goldcar - a Spanish company new to Italy and so there is not much feed back yet. But boy, I've found a huge number of complaints about them in Spain.

Their staff at Bologna Airport are rude, unhelpful and basically thieves! They hold you at the desk for half an hour selling extra insurance for €125 (which still does not cover glass, wheels, mirrors, interior etc), you have to pay an exorbitant price for a tank of fuel (the tank wasn't even full) and there is no refund for remaining fuel on return plus they charge an extra supplement for diesel (when diesel in Italy is cheaper than petrol).

Goldcar's car park is at East Terminal which is a long walk from the rental desk. I'm partially disabled and they would not give me any assistance.

On return they would not believe that I did not take out the extra rip-off insurance and wanted to search my bag for a document they insisted I was hiding! I then had to wait while one of them went to check the car for damage - eventually he phoned in to say the car was ok - undamaged and clean. Despite this, I later found an extra charge of €32 had been made to my card for no reason.

They are absolute rogues and next time at Bologna (November) I'm going to demand an explanation - although I doubt I'll get anywhere.

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

ive not used goldcar in italy but i have in spain and portugal and both tiimes they were fine. You have to read the t and c's before and if you do you will see they publish the prices for fuel. i found that the cost of the car hire easily compensated for the increased fuel charge. i guess the message is do a proper comparison beforehand

krefeld
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

thanks...have now booked with europcar, paid a bit more but hopefully worth it for peace of mind. Will confirm whether or not made the right choice mid September!

Tunis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Ditto other reviewers. We waited in line for 45 mins. Then the price we were asked to pay was double what we booked online. They asked for an insurance deposit of 1700 Euros or we could take their additional insurance for something like 150 Euros for the week - don't recall it exactly. Car had a blow out and we were in another city where they had no offices. Were told to fix it ourselves. Had to buy another tire and who knows the quality of that. Repair guy would not provide a receipt but we had no options. So could not prove to Goldcar we replaced the tire. I guess we should have returned it with the spare on and threw the other tire in the trash. When we arrived back at check in, we were met with the rudest person. She just shrugged her shoulders and offered no sympathy or compensation. Insisting on documenting our experience on an accident report, she said that no one will read it. Very professional, huh?

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Avoid this company at all cost .

new york
Level Contributor
239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Thanks for informing us about this horrendous company.

I never heard of them, but will be sure to stay away.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

DO NOT USE GOLDCAR ****

Hopefully if you are reading this you are doing so before you make a booking with this company that systematically scams people.

I will save you from the details but needless to say that just like hundreds if not thousands of others I was wrongfully charged a large amount of money that more than doubled the cost of the rental. Whether it be fuel charges, Super Relax Insurance , or false claims of damage to the vehicle , they will get you.

The customer service is polite and apologetic via emails etc but you will not get your money back.

The sooner this company goes out of business the better !! DO NOT USE ****

Luxembourg City...
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Skam do not use

I hired a car to be picked up from Bologna airport (booked through Argus) and instead of paying 70 euros I ended up paying 120 for a full fuel tank (25 non refundable) and 80 for additional car insurance. I had the option not to take the insurance but I had to block 1600 euros for 21 days!!!

Beware. It is a scum and nothing compared to what is presented while booking...

Belgium
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Pisa airport - never trust goldcar

My god ! These people are rude thiefs that have not a single clue if what customer service is about.

I came with my prepaid réservation (easycar) - present my crédit card - amex (i did book with it):

No we don t take amex

Present my classic visa

No this is card is a débit card - oh, i am using that card for many years, and i tell you this is a crédit card - no we dont take

I asked my wife to provide her visa crédit card (based on our common account)

No this is not legal we cannot accept

Conclusion: go to another renter and ask for a refund because here we don t rent you a car (sic)

I was upset pushed the documents to them - they took them and throuw them on me with my card that was on the desk - that is quite a good service !;)

I have try to discuss further - my wife (pregnant) and my son were waiting for 1 h - they were 4 behind the desk - none of them proposed a solution and continue to be agressive.

Go away of goldcar.

Edited: 4:02 pm, October 25, 2014
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Nigdy wiecej nie wynajme auta z tej nieuczciwej firmy i radze innym trzymac sie od nich z daleka. Tylko raz mnie nabrali, zawyzone ubezpieczenie, zawyzona cena benzyny, auto mniejsze niz proponowane i beszczelna obsluga. Beznadziejna firma. Car renting in novembre 2014.

Edited: 8:16 pm, November 25, 2014
Oud-Heverlee...
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

I regret not having read these posts ahead of my trip to Bologna in September. I booked a rental car though Argus car hire, and Goldcar seemed to offer a good deal at 63.45 € for 3 days. Unfortunately, I was only later that the small print in the rental agreement contained an additional 74 € admin charge. When I arrived in Bologna on 24 September, it turned out that Goldcar charged my credit card a hefty 189.50 € for administration and fuel. They claimed that they would refund fuel left in the tank upon return of the car.

On 27 September I returned the car with the tank 75% full, but Goldcar refunded a meagre 60 €. This is sheer theft. Goldcar’s practice of quoting competitive base prices but then charging high additional costs is very unfair and not customer friendly, and reason enough to never book with them again. Not fully refunding unused fuel charges is nothing short of theft.

To make matters worse, during the rental period I was worried about water dripping from the car. I tried to call the SOS Road Assistance number that they gave me, to no avail. Noone answered the phone. When I tried Goldcar customer service, again no reply. I ended up going to a local garage, where a very friendly mechanic assured me there was nothing to worry about. Still I think it's unacceptable not being able to contact the rental company in case of need.

To conclude: AVOID GOLDCAR!!!!