We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Bologna August 15th

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying into Bologna August 15th

I recently booked 5 days in Italy flying in and out of Bologna and committed the cardinal sin of not doing enough research. The long and the short of it is we will be landing in Bologna on a national holiday, 15th august. I have been informed by numerous blogs, posts and travel guides that no shops, bars, restaurants or tourist attractions will be open on 15th. Is this really the case? I figure we have a couple of options for the 15th but wondering if even these will be viable. Number one is a lazy day in Giardini Margherita with a picnic an some wine, and a stroll around the (possibly deserted) town in the evening. Will it even be possible to buy picnic provisions on the 15th, are other posts exaggerated or is 15th August really a total shut down? Our second option is to catch a train to Florence after we land at 10am and try our luck that there will be more things open there, possibly with a walk into the countryside. We were intending to visit Verona as well on the trip so could ear mark this for the first day if that might be a better option. I am interested in any suggestions that will help us get the most out of our 5 days in Italy. We are hoping to visit some local bars and restaurants with live music and character if anyone has any suggestions of places that might be open from 15th - 20th. Any feedback or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Amazing Italy - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Factory Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Associazione Vitruvio
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Motorstars
Sightseeing Tours, Factory Tours, Day Trips
Free Walking Tour Bologna
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,781 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

You have posted this in the Palermo (Sicily) forum.

Hard to imagine everything will be closed but I've not been in Bologna then - there is so much to enjoy in Bologna, I wouldn't jump on a train and go to Florence.

Wait to see what responses you get - but, even if you just walk around the city, under the many beautiful porticos and enjoy the medieval architecture, you will have a very good day -

There is so much in Bologna for you explore - I was there for only four days in March and can't wait to return.

Have you checked yet with your hotel to see what information they can give you about Aug. 15?

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

Apologies I was just trying to delete/edit the post as I realised too late I had posted in the wrong place.

Thanks for the feedback!

The other thing is I have yet to book accommodation waiting on the responses I get and will book next week. It's all been a bit spur of the moment so far!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

I agree with MomCat, Bologna is a beautiful city and my 4 days there last September went by tooo fast. This hotel was recommended to me and I'll recommend it to you: venere.com/hotels/bologna/hotel-il-guercino/

For others, www.venere.com and www.booking.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,781 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

I stayed here Antica Residenza d’Azeglio

anticaresidenzadazeglio.it/en/residenza.html

The most wonderful lodging of anyplace I have had in Italy (save for my hotel in Rome) - both equally the most delightful places. I had the very large, gorgeous Red Room but saw the others which are just as beautiful. It is the residence but just as much it is the proprietors and the amenities.

Reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187801-d1636…

If you email them re: availability, you can also ask them about the situation re: restaurants/shops, etc for August 15. They are very prompt in replying and incredibly helpful with information.

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

Hi Sophie,

yes, the 15th of August is a national holiday. This mean that the shops are closed, even malls are closed, so purchase food for a pic-nic could be a little tricky.

Restaurants and bar usually aren't closed at all. Probably the 40% will be opened in Bologna: this mean that if you're looking for an exact restaurant it could be closed, but you can find another one opened.

The museums usually are closed on monday and the most are closed at Ferragosto, but I'm not 100% sure since in the last years many cities decide to keep the museums opened at Ferragosto.

Here you can find the events for Ferragosto in Bologna: www.bolognaestate.it/calendario.asp… : I see that there are some events into museums, so probably are opened. And there is even a show of "commedia dell'arte" in english!

Bye

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

Thank you so much for all your replies. I think we are going to stay for the first two nights in Bologna now. It really does seem like a beautiful city with loads of character which is why I booked to go there in the first place, I was just a little scared everything would be closed from the other blogs I had read. Turamba thanks for the link - I am really interested in the John Cage exhibition so that will be a bonus! Do you know of any good bars in the are or any good places to go for live music that might be open around the week of the 15th?

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

Hi,

well.... I don't know exactly chich one is opened and which is closed at Ferragosto. Usually Italians prefer stay in open space during summer than inside a bar or pub, so the live concerts in pubs aren't so many.

Probably this one could be an interesting event for you: www.bolognaestate.it/scheda.asp… : Piazza Verdi is in the center of universitary zone and I read on newspaper that there is a lot of people for Murato! every night. In this area is full of pubs, so you can ask for suggestion directly here to know where play live music.

:-)

Riccardo

England
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

I have just returned from Bologna (my 5th visit) and noticed your question on Trip Advisor. Sorry I can't offer a lot of re-assurance, but from experience it's like this:

August in Bologna is hot. Expect anything up to 45 degC (113degF) and possibly higher. Many of the residents desert the city and head for the hills or the coast, where it's a bit cooler. That's why a lot of shops etc will be shut - their proprietors are away on holiday. The buses run a restricted service, even some hotels shut. The idea of going to other places is good, but anywhere near Bologna will have the same scenario. I don't really know what to suggest, if you haven't definitely committed then I'd suggest going somewhere else. If you are stuck with Bologna then the websites to investigate are:

ATC for buses / Trenitalia for trains / any good weather site for temperature.

You should note that on Saturday and Sunday the main roads in the city are closed to traffic (including buses) and are for pedestrians only. This screws up the bus service, so be warned that even if you have sorted the bus routes they may change on those days.

Sorry to be so negative, I would urge anybody to visit Bologna, it's a fabulous place, just unfortunate you picked that time to go.

I don't know how it works but I think you can email me through Trip Advisor and if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

That pretty much describes nearly everywhere in Italy except for the coastal/seaside areas. It is hot all over Italy - not just in the area of Bologna, Modena, Parma, etc.

It is, in my opinion, not an optimum time of year to go but if that is the only time you can go, then doing what you are doing now (research) is very important so you minimize any surprises or disappointments.

But - honestly, people in this horrid economy (and Italy is suffering as well as everywhere else), can't afford to shut down their businesses for long - not as they used to do.

You can check the websites of any of the many wonderful museums to check their hours - I am sure they will be open for the most part. If shopping is your thing, I can't answer as shopping is the last thing I ever do on holiday.

But, this is a living, active city and there will definitely be shops, etc open as locals will require all of those things.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Bologna August 15th

I spent all of last August in Bologna and really enjoyed the shady, breezy porticoes. I walked everywhere and it was a joy to have the car traffic restricted in the city so that pedestrians could enjoy it. I had air conditioning where I stayed, and many restaurants do. In the evenings there are many outdoor places to have a drink or eat, and it is pleasant. There are usually lots of places to listen to music. You can get a heat wave anywhere in Italy in August. I wouldn't hesitate to return to Bologna in August (and I wouldn't want to go to Tuscany in August!)

Edited: 1:04 pm, July 08, 2012