We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna to Venice by train

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bologna to Venice by train

Trying to fly into Bologna via RyanAir and staying over one night. How far is it via train from Bologna to Venice?

Thanks!

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
905 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

There are plenty of trains from Bologna to Venice, the trip takes from 1,45 to 2,15 more or less, depending on the kind of train

Silvia

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

Hi Sylvia

I don't mean to hijack this thread but my wife and I need to get from Venice to Bologna very promptly after we disembark a cruise to get to our hotel in Rimini the night before the San Marino MotoGP. Do the trains to Bologna from Venice leave as regularly? It will be a Saturday.

Cheers

Boyo

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html looking for trains from Venice to Rimini.

Coming off a cruise, you should take a land taxi from your ship to Mestre station on the mainland, where the taxi can take you right to the station.

Edited: 4:00 am, June 24, 2012
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

Hi sydneynick

Thanks for your help. Can you tell me what the differences are between normal, economy and super economy fares.

Cheers

Boyo

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

Mainly price, but the cheaper the ticket is, the less flexibility. As with airlines, you get a discount for early purchase, but can't change your mind.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

I wouldn't buy discounted tickets coming from a cruise, unless the price is so good that you're willing to take it as a total loss if you miss the train.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

I managed to find tickets for USD53 for the two of us to Riccione 2nd class (which I discovered is where we need to go) travelling super economy. Is the cheap price solely about non refundability or is it less comfortable seating as well?

Boyo

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

The seating is the same. However, most of the itineraries from Venice to Riccione cost only €76.40 for two people at full price. I'm not sure I'd want to trade the flexibility of full price to save about $50. When I return to Italy by air, I never buy my train tickets in advance, even though I could save a little money. Late arrivals happen, but so do early arrivals. I'd rather pay a little more and take the first train I can get.

If you do buy the tickets in advance, just get the ticket from Venice to Bologna, and don't buy the segment from Bologna to Riccione online. Almost all the trains on this route are regional trains, with no reservations and no reserved seats; there are never discounts on regional trains. The regional tickets bought online are the most inflexible ticket there is, while the ones you buy at a train station can be used at any time in two months. You can buy the ticket to Riccione in the Venice train station, or in the Bologna train station, if your time is short in Venice.

Abergavenny, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

Hello I arrive by plane in Venice on Tuesday 26th March and plan to go by train to Bologna the same day. . I have tried to book a ticket online but only the 27th pops up as the earliest bookable date. Does this mean I just get the ticket at the station or are all the seats full on the 26th? Thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bologna to Venice by train

You probably didn't specify the time of day as well as the date. If you don't specify a time of day, it assumes the time of day you're doing the search. So if it's 10 PM, it will probably roll over to the next day.