We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

regional Trains to Florence?

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
regional Trains to Florence?

Are there regional trains from Bologna to Florence? I have tried to search Trenitalia, but I keep finding only the fast trains, which cost 63 euros round trip for the 3 of us, which is too much for a day trip. How do I tailor my search for regional trains only? Thank you.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
876 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

Hi BooKat

see if this helps

www.raileurope.com/Bologna-Florence

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

Don't use Raileurope; use www.trenitalia.com (the website of the Italian train system) - Regional trains don't show up on the schedule more than 7 days out so put in a date like May 4 to see the schedule for the regional trains; be sure to put a low number (like 7) in the box marked "hour" or "ore" (Italian) to get a full day schedule.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

Virtually 100% of the unreserved regionale trains between Florence and Bologna require a CONNECTION at Prato Centrale. Frequency is HOURLY.

To view the solutions, you need to click on the icon "all solutions". on the Trenitalia website. Otherwise, the system will just bring up the direct trains (all Freccia and Intercity trains).

You save HEAPS of money by using the regionale trains on this route, instead of the Freccias. The connection at Prato Centrale is easy and short.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,472 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

Find the "all solutions" button on the bottom left of your first page of timetable results on http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

Use a date this week to see fares, as fares for these trains are NA online more than seven days ahead.

Note that the trenitalia link given in answer 2 uses a different interface, does not have the 'all solutions' button, and requires the use of Italian station names rather than simply Bologna and Florence. And even if you search for 'best price' on that link it will not show the cheap Regional trains.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,080 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

When I looked at that site, it showed the cheaper trains - 7,50 euros; not sure it gets much cheaper than that for that route.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

ok, now it is much better. Thank you to all for your help. Perilizia, thank you for that link. That "all solutions" button is great.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,472 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

MomCat is right, insofar as http://www.trenitalia.com/ does show the two early morning and one late evening direct Regional trains.

But it doesn't show the many options throughout all of the rest of the day via Prato, at the times for which I was looking.

larnaka
Level Contributor
10 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

regional trains don't go directly at firenze central station (Florence)

what you have to do is buy 2 tickets. One from Bologna Train station to Firenze Rifredi and one from Firenze Rifredi to Firenze central station.

this would be around 10.50euro one way and 21euro return. Kids under 4 travel for free. Familie's get a 20% discount.

please be advised!!

the quickest way from Bologna to Firenze with Regional Train is the one described above which normally takes 1 hour 20 minutes.

otherwise fast train is the best solution but it is more expensive.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

hello. can you tell me if 5 minutes are enough to change the train at prato centrale? I want to take a train from bologna to florence, that has a change at prato centrale. the train from bologna arrives at prato centrale at 11.23, and then i have to take the next one, for florence, at 11.28. do you think it is enough time?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: regional Trains to Florence?

5 minutes is enough time to connect if the incoming train is on time. If you MISS the connection, there are more trains from Prato Centrale to Firenze SMN every 20-30 minutes.