We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 1 night enough in Bologna?

New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
is 1 night enough in Bologna?

We are planning on staying 4 nights in venice and either 2 nights in Bologna + 1 night in MIlan or 2 nights in Milan and one night in Bologna.

Any advice on which city is more interesting, between Milan and Bologna? We're not really brand-name shoppers, that's why I thought maybe we only need 1 night in Milan?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is 1 night enough in Bologna?

Hello,

My best advice is to skip both Milan and Bologna and head for Florence. You won't regret it. If you've been to Florence before the next choice would be over to below Genoa in Cinque Terre.

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 1 night enough in Bologna?

I woudnt skip Bologna if you've never been! Between Venice and Bologna you can visit Padua and Ferrara, even Verona not in the way to Bologna but not far. Heading to Milan from Bologna you can visit Modena and Parma. 1 night is very little for both Bologna and Milan. Bologna is a student city with good food. Milan is the busisness capital of Italy. Both are expensive cities (maybe Milan a bit more). Why dont you stay in Venice 3 nites and 2 in both Bologna nd Milan?

New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 1 night enough in Bologna?

thank you. yeah, that's what I was thinking, 2 nights each. We've been to florence and loved every minute of it.

Wiesbaden, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: is 1 night enough in Bologna?

Having been to Venice a number of times, 3 nights is definately enough, so you may want to shave a day off of Venice to spend 2 nights in Milano and Bologna. While the fashion area in Milano is good, there are also plenty of other things to see like the Last Supper, Sforza Castle, and the Duomo. Make sure to get tickets to view the Last Supper on-line, as they are impossible to get in person. I don't know about Bologna, although I am visiting this weekend, but it seems to be more then a 1 night stop.