We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in Bologna...

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dinner in Bologna...

Hello,

I will be in Bologna for a couple of days. While I'll be busy in the daytime being out and about, I will be free in the evenings. Now I hear Bologna has some of the best food in Italy. My question is can you recommend a couple of restaurants to eat on the two evenings I'm there where I can experience some really good Italian food? In addition, is there any kind of special dishes that I just have to try in Bologna that are unique to that region? Just to let you know, I'm really open with food, and (I think) I'm fine with all sorts of Italian food. Regarding cost, I'm on a tight budget, but I'm willing to maybe pay more for a meal one night, and get something cheaper on the other night. Any suggestions? Thanks.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

You should be well satisfied with food, costs, service, authenticity and all at the restaurant La Sangiovese. On the South side of town, maybe an 8 to 10 minute walk from the big central piazza.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

Thanks roadgard. Anymore suggestions for places to eat for dinner?

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

Traditional dishes:

tortellini, lasagne alla bolognese, tagliatelle alla bolognese, passatelli in brodo.

Bollito misto with sauces.

Pinza (a cake with marmelade), bensone (good with a white wine...).

Bye

Riccardo

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

do you have a car?

there are many good (and cheaper) restaurants a bit outer the central zone...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

A few weeks ago, I ate at the Osteria Broccaindosso, which is a very moderately priced restaurant which will give a real sampling of regional food.

If you order the antipasto, you will get a sampling of every antipasto they have in the house. They will keep bringing you plate after plate of specialities, and they will take them away and carry them to the next table when you have had enough.

The same thing happens with the desserts. They will bring you dozens of things in huge serving bowls and insist that you just try a little bit.

Four of us ate there; one didn't feel well and just ordered a first course. I think just one ordered the antipasto, and all of us ordered the dessert. Two of us ordered first courses, and one ordered a second course. The total bill, which we just split four ways, was 30 euros per person. Service is very informal, and maybe a bit brusque, but attentive. The atmosphere is typical osteria.

The osteria is located on the street of the same name, and the phone number is 051 234 153. It's closed Sundays.

For lunch, if you're out and about anywhere near the centro storico, I strongly suggest you try eating at the shop AF Tamburini on Via Caprarie, near the Piazza Maggiore. This is a shop selling salami and cheese and other delicacies, which has a cafeteria-style restaurant in the back, with a few small tables. Everything they serve is delicious, and the prices are quite reasonable. Don't try to save yourself a place at a table by plopping down your coat before passing through the cafeteria line! They will come down on you like a ton of bricks! They did let me leave my shopping bags near the cash register so I could handle my tray without encumbrances.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

We were delighted with Ristorante Bolognase. It's in a basement , near the train station. Wonderful service. Most of the wait staff are fluent in English.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

gamballs,

To answer your question, unfortunately, no, I won't have a car.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

I reserved a hotel at the Imperial Hotel, which is located at this address:

Via Del Gomito 16

Bologna, 40127

Judging from the map, it looks like it's a few kilometers north of the center of town. Can you recommend any restaurants closer to the hotel? Or is it still not too bad to get to the center of town (via walking or taking a bus), and then go eat at a restaurant there?

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

Bologna has excellent bus service. Since it is a university town there are many good, inexpensive reatuarnats all over the middle of the town.

Very enjoyable place to visit!

10. Re: Dinner in Bologna...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 13, 2009