We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna Itinerary

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Bologna Itinerary

We are going to be in Bologna in late September for 3 days staying at the Hotel Porta San Mamolo. I am trying to put together a rough itinerary and would love some help.

As it is our honeymoon we like the idea of just relaxing and going at a leisurely pace - not rushing to see every single amazing sight. We will be arriving from Venice and then going to Parma for 3 days after this, so these 3 days can be purely devoted to Bologna.

We arrive on a Sunday and I have read lots of places are closed so figured we could stroll around and park ourselves in a cafe in Piazza Maggiore to people watch.

The Monday and Tuesday was planning on seeing the beautiful architecture and shopping. We are total foodies so intend to get lots of eating done too!! Are most of the places you would suggest we visit accessible by walking?

I would love to know everyones favourite part of Bologna be it a building/restaurant etc..

Thanks.

NYC
Level Contributor
150 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bologna Itinerary

We just got back from our Italian trip and stayed at the Hotel Porta San Mamolo for 2 nights. Loved the hotel! We just wrote a review and should be posted in a couple of days. If you love to walk, you must go to the Santuario della Madonna di San Luca. It's 666 steps to the top with beautiful views of the city. We took it slow, and the walk took us just under 2 hours. The restaurant at the end of the block of the hotel is wonderful - you MUST make reservations!! The city centre is a short walk from the hotel which is in a quiet neighborhood. We never had a bad meal in Bologna. Hotel has free internet in the lobby and the breakfast buffet was incredible. We did all we wanted to do in 2 days, so you'll really be able to enjoy the city. Only disappointment was the graffiti everywhere. Just walk under all those porticos and look up. Little English spoken outside of the hotel (which we loved) and was never an issue. If you try a little Italian, the locals go out of their way to help. The Rick Steves Italian book for $8 bucks was most helpful! Enjoy your stay. I would walk everywhere - you can even walk from the hotel to the train station - about a 30 min walk. There's a beautiful park to stroll in with food/craft vendors and just remembe to validate those train tickets before boarding!! Look for the yellow machines at he train station. Boun Viagge and arrividerce

bethesda, md
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bologna Itinerary

The cafes in the Piazza are a bit on the bruta side but if you walk along the left (east )side of the cathedral which faces the Piazza Maggiore you'll come to another smaller piazza which has a beautiful cafe which also sells fabulous snacks and pastries. That's where the bolognese seem to hang out. Also to the east of the Piazza Maggiore is the market district which has numerous cafes that make for good people watching. vinenid

Kingston
Level Contributor
476 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bologna Itinerary

We spent two days in Bologna last September on our honeymoon and loved it--despite the fact it poured rain the whole time!

We also just enjoyed walking around admiring the architecture. The city has a different "feel" than, say Rome, Florence or Venice. But absolutely, the food was the best we had on our whole trip!

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bologna Itinerary

Thanks for the feedback! We are very much looking forward to our trip. Could anyone please confirm whether most shops are open on Monday? I am told Bologna has amazing leather goods and would love to shop for some.

Also I just read that Thursday is the 1/2 day closed day for the region - does this also apply to Parma?

Thanks.

5. Re: Bologna Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, September 03, 2009