We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesaro- Urbino by trains

Matawan Nj
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pesaro- Urbino by trains

I was an exchange students about 20 years ago at the University of Urbino and remember a train which ran from Pesaro to Urbino. I can't find any info on the train line - it must have been shut down. What a picturesque trip it was through the mountains! Upon arrival in Urbino a bus was waiting to take you up the hill to the main square.

Does anyone remember this train line?

Thanks.

Bill

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

That train no longer runs, to the sorrow of the little towns it used to pass through. Volunteers have been keeping the stations and the tracks in repair, but I think it's a hopeless cause. There is now a parking lot at the Urbino station, and there is still a bus (with very irregular hours) that takes you up the hill.

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

Edith Templeton was writing her travel book 'the surprise of Cremona' in the 1950s. She had been sold a train ticket from pesaro to urbino by her travel agent in London. The station master at Peaaro advised her that trains to urbino had stopped running 8 years earlier!!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

Just recently there was talk of a private organization that might take over the operation of trains on the line, for touristic reasons. I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if anyone will come up with the necessary funds. It would certainly be a scenic train ride.

Another scenic train ride in Le Marche is the line from Fabriano to Pergola. Up until last year, the trains were running on the line, but at the moment they're substituted by buses, although I heard that train service would be restored.

Finally, there's a line that goes from Fabriano to the coast at Civitanova Marche, then at San Benedetto del Tronto it turns inland again to arrive at Ascoli Piceno. This line still has a few direct trains a day and passes through very pretty country. It has stops in many lovely little towns, such as Matelica, San Severino Marche, Camerino, Macerata, and Offida. (Often the station is some distance from the center of town, though.)

southampton
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

Bill Hi

The preservation group attempting to re-open the railway line - Ferrovia Valle Metauro - has a wonderful website which is well worth exploring - particularly the Picasa and You-Tube sections.

http://www.ferroviafvm.it/

Have a look at the maps section - la linea

I really hope they're successful.

Enjoy, and I hope it brings back more memories!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

They have a long uphill fight. One of their obstacles is a proposed plan to dismantle the railroad and make it into a bike path. Which side would you be on, Italycyclist?

In this Picasa gallery, they show a rally of cyclists (15 in total) who met to support the idea of the bike path. The railroad people show in these photos that they only did part of the course on bikes, and then loaded their bikes in cars and drove the rest of the way.

https:/…5718706979526405810

I wish them well, also. They've kept at this for years with almost no encouragement. And, if you see the photos, they've put their muscles as well as their other talents into the fight.

One of the things I saw on the web site is that the railway closed sometime in the 1980s. That seems to contradict Bellini's post indicating that the line closed in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Maybe it was reopened and closed again.

southampton
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

I'm on the side of the preservationists / the re-opening of the railway both for local people to use daily and for tourists.

In the UK railway preservation is very different to Italy. Here there are more of us, we're better funded and the local authorities realise how much money preserved railways put back in to the economy... Also legistlation is better...

A 'real' railway would be much better and quicker than the bus from Pesaro!

I'll stick to cycling the Via Panoramica from Gabicce Mare to Pesaro.

If I was nearer I'd join and help clear the vegatation!

Ciao Robert

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

The preservation people proposed an alternate bike path parallel to the railroad. However, they suspect that the real force behind the bike proposal is a group opposed to the re-opening of the railroad. I can't imagine why, though.

I would also love to see the line between Fabriano and Pergola reopened. Trains were running on that line as recently as last year. What is needed is to publicize these lines for their scenic and touristic value. Even local people would enjoy an outing on these lines, but the schedules are always geared to people going to work and school, with almost no service on Sundays or in the middle of the day.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

Here is a link to the Fano/Urbino rail line, which closed in 1987:

ferrovieabbandonate.it/mappa_dismessa.php…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

I see there is also an abandoned line from Fermignano to Pergola. That could be connected to the Pergola-Fabriano line, and would make a wonderful circle route (with a deviation to Urbino) in combination with the Rome-Ancona line and the Adriatic coast line:

Fano -> Fermignano -> Urbino -> Fermignano ->Pergola -> Fabriano ->

Falconara Marittima -> Fano

Or it could be made longer and even more scenic by substituting Fabriano -> Ascoli Piceno -> San Benedetto del Tronto -> Fano

This section, which I mentioned above, is still operating with a few trains a day, and passes through some very scenic countryside between Fabriano and Ascoli Piceno.

Edited: 5:03 pm, May 01, 2012
Amherst, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Pesaro- Urbino by trains

Does anyone know where the closest rail station to urbino is that would have rail service to Rome?

Also, how would one get from Urbino to this closest rail station.

.Thank You.

Fred Mosley

Amherst, N.H.

eml: fmosley@milfordtravel.webmail.com

Get answers to your questions about Urbino