We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excursion from Ancona?

florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
excursion from Ancona?

We have the choice of going to Urbino or to San Marino for the day. Our ship includes excursions in the price, though some excursions have a surcharge. San Marino has a surcharge of $99 per person. Is it much more interesting/handsome than Urbino?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Urbino
Urbino
Province of Pesaro and Urbino, Italy
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: excursion from Ancona?

I think I just replied to a similar post on another forum? You didn't mention the surcharge in your other post. That clinches it. Urbino for me. Urbino is for art lovers, San Marino is just touristy. I suppose people go to San Marino to say they've visited another country and tick it off their list. Maybe they also try to get a stamp in their passport. Some folks like that sort of thing. No, Urbino all the way Nancy.

Edited: 1:31 pm, November 12, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Urbino
Urbino
Nancy
Nancy
Meurthe-et-Moselle, France
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: excursion from Ancona?

I would suggest Urbino also. Partly because San Marino is a longer trip from Ancona. San Marino has a nice walk from one tower to the next (three altogether) that gets you totally away from the tourists and offers some lovely views over the countryside, but on a day trip from a cruise ship in Ancona, you'd just have time to browse the tacky souvenirs in the center of town.

Urbino is quite nice, with a decent museum in the Ducal Palace. Make sure to go to the lower level to see the kitchens, the stables, and the laundry. It's not restored like the lovely service quarters at Hampton Palace, but it's interesting. The stables were disconcertingly near the kitchen.

There is a beautiful view of the palace and the lovely Marche countryside from a park above the town. I hope your tour takes you there.

Do tell us when you get back how the tour was, no matter which one you take. I've been very curious about the tours from the port of Ancona, and haven't found much information.

Mentioned in this post
Urbino
Urbino
Ancona
Ancona
Province of Ancona, Italy
Marche
Marche
Italy
3. Re: excursion from Ancona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 16, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Urbino