We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancona - What to see in one day

Which Ancona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
364 posts
755 reviews
Save Topic
Ancona - What to see in one day

We are in Ancona for one day, in September, off a cruise ship and I am seeking advice on what must be seen and what can be avoided in the town. I like visiting places and finding great photo opportunities whether these be views, buildings or historical matters. Any tips would be welcome. Cheers

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ancona - What to see in one day

I know; the Ancona city government and the local press are always complaining that not many cruise passengers remain in the city for the day, but I haven't seen anyone do anything to welcome them, propose city tours to them, or distribute tourist material to them.

Urbino is less than an hour and a half from Ancona, so I would say that you'd have time to go there and see a good deal of the city, which isn't large. The ducal palace is the biggest attraction; the National Museum of Le Marche, with some great Renaissance masterpieces, is in the palace, and there are also some rooms furnished in period style. You should also go to the underground area, where you can see the kitchens and the stables (disconcertingly near one another) and also the palace laundry. The steps leading down (very wide and low) were designed so that horses could be led down to the stables. You should try to drive to the park above the city, where there is a great view of the palace and the surrounding countryside.

There are other interesting places to visit closer to Ancona, if you have a car. There are some very attractive medieval walled towns, such as Serra de'Conti, Corinaldo, and Mondavio. These are small towns, so you could even see several in one day.

The Frasassi Caverns, mentioned above, are also very worth seeing, unless you are uncomfortable in underground places. The itinerary isn't difficult, and there aren't any tight squeezes.

Linden, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ancona - What to see in one day

I'm not bvlenci, but since she hasn't replied, she must be away. We just returned this week from Ancona and it is certainly feasible with 11 hours to drive to Urbino. We rented our car at the airport; but from other older posts in this forum, I know there are plenty of car rentals available in the Port vicinity. Much of the trip to Urbino is on the autostrada and the remainder is through gorgeous mountainous countryside. I used mapquest to map out my route and it was great. Since Urbino is one of the few Marche sites with plenty of online info available (not to mention right on Trip Advisor), you should be able to plan a very nice excursion on your own. 11 hours is more than enough and you could add some of the nearby towns also mentioned by bvlenci in her other postings. But, remember you do need to get an International Driving permit for Italy. AAA offers them for $15 nad they will take your picture, too.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ancona - What to see in one day

Actually, I did respond, on September 15th. Maybe you didn't get as far as page 2.

However, I didn't mention the International Driver's Permit (IDP), so thanks for mentioning it. You need to carry this along with your regular license. You can save some money if you bring along a passport-sized photo yourself, which you can take in one of those cabins at the mall.

Edited: 11:07 am, September 22, 2013
Linden, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ancona - What to see in one day

You're right on all counts. So sorry.

East London, South...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Ancona - What to see in one day

I am a Virgin cruiser from South Africa. My friend and I would totally like to do our own thing. We will be in Ancona for only 6 hours in July 2014. On Foot, I might add. Any suggestions? I would also like to know about how to see the most of Kotor (Montenegro)in 6 hours as well as Split (Croatia) 10 hours. I believe we can do most of our shopping in Split.

Do I have to have all the different currencies for this trip or would the Euro be fine. Would they accept credit cards as means of payment???

Big thank you for all the replies.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ancona - What to see in one day

Have you read any of my suggestions above? Six hours is very little time, so I don't think you could go beyond the immediate vicinity of the city. What are your interests? I don't have any idea of the kinds of things you might enjoy.

Croatia is not on the euro; I don't know if euros are widely accepted there. You should ask on a Croatia forum. Montenegro uses the euro unofficially, as they have no currency of their own.

17. Re: Ancona - What to see in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:49 am, March 17, 2015