We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Ancona (train), Ancona to Split (ferry)

Which Ancona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Rome to Ancona (train), Ancona to Split (ferry)

I am traveling from Rome to Ancona by train on September 24 (2011) to catch the ferry to Split. What time should I plan to arrive in Ancona in order to check-in and board the ferry for the overnight trip to Split? With many train options, I want to depart Rome as late as possible in the morning/early afternoon to arrive in Ancona. Is the train station near the Ancona port?

Also - I am looking at booking the ferry (Blue-line) and with so many seating/room options, I am not sure if there is any advice for the overnight trip based on experience? Is booking a suite worth it?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Ancona (train), Ancona to Split (ferry)

first of all look at any trenitalia schedule for the day you wish to travel and check times.

from memory the Blue line departs at 8.30 to 9.00 ......usr this site www.viamare.com so getting into ancona about an hour and a half is the finest you can cut it.

If you can stand the hassel you can sleep in the seats......other than that we took the cabin inside with a washstand/toilet and used the shared shower which was Ok.

have a small trip log if you wish to message me.

2. Re: Rome to Ancona (train), Ancona to Split (ferry)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, October 10, 2012