We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acqualagna Truffle Festival from Genga (Hotel Le Grotte)

Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Acqualagna Truffle Festival from Genga (Hotel Le Grotte)

Hello everyone,

We're planning a weekend stop in Acqualagna during our trip to Italy, and we ended up booking the Hotel Le Grotte in Genga for two nights.

Is it difficult to get to Acqualagna from here? It looks like roughly an hour on Google maps, but there weren't too many options closer by. Will it be easy to park in Acqualagna and is the truffle festival basically the entire town?

We don't have too much else planned, but we were hoping to get our fill of truffles here while on our trip! My wife loves white truffles, so it seemed like a truffle festival would be a worthwhile stop for us.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acqualagna Truffle Festival from Genga (Hotel Le Grotte)

It's not a difficult drive, and it's very scenic. The drive would take about an hour passing through Cagli. Another scenic route, which would take about an hour and 45 minutes, would pass through Arcevia, Corinaldo, Mondavio, and Furlo. This is also a very scenic route. It's worth stopping at Corinaldo, with its 14th century walls; Mondavio, with a 14th century guard tower; and Furlo, where the ancient Roman Via Flaminia passes through a lovely river gorge and a tunnel carved in the rock by the ancient Romans over 2000 years ago.

These stops, of course, would add several hours to the trip, but if you leave Genga early, you could make short stops at these places and still enjoy the festival. The town is small and the festival does take up most of it. There are plenty of parking places, and volunteers will guide you to them.

There are lots of hotels closer to Acqualagna than Genga. Urbino is less than half an hour away, and there is also a hotel in Furlo, which is only about 15 minutes away.There are hotels in all the towns where I suggested passing through en route. In fact, there is at least one hotel in the immediate vicinity of Acqualagna, but they may be all booked because of the festival.

However, if you want to stay in Genga, that's also a pretty spot. You might want to visit the Grotta di Frasassi, one of Europe's largest cave systems, which is within the confines of Genga, but in the valley. Even if you don't like caves, you should stop in the vicinity of the cavern, which is in another lovely river gorge. The little town of San Vittore Terme, where there is a natural thermal bath (which explains the odor of sulphur), has a very beautiful 10th century Romanesque church, which is now a speleological museum. The ticket to the cavern also gives you admission to this museum, but it has rather limited hours.

Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acqualagna Truffle Festival from Genga (Hotel Le Grotte)

Awesome, thank you for the great info. I think the scenic drive is just what we're looking for, so we'll probably stop along the way for photo opportunities. I'm sure we wont be able to spend the entire day at the festival eating, so having stops along the way will be great.

Hotels.com and similar sites showed very sparse listings for hotels in the immediate area around Acqualagna. I noticed a couple of hotels a little bit closer in, but the Hotel Le Grotte had a lot of nice reviews that led me to book a couple nights there. Live and learn, I guess, but it sounds like it'll still be close enough.

I think we'll definitely make a stop in San Vittore to see the Church and Abbey. The caves sound very fun as well.

Thanks for all the tidbits and info - I think you gave us several other options to go see in between the festival itself.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acqualagna Truffle Festival from Genga (Hotel Le Grotte)

Look at it as an excuse for a scenic ride, but for others who may be reading this, there are numerous hotels in the area, as well as a lot of farmhouse or "country house" accommodations in the area. Many of the latter are not shown on booking sites.

The caves are very nice, and I'm not a big fan of cave tours. In the winter, they don't have tours in English, but they give you an audio headset and printed itinerary, so you can follow the Italian tour. My American nieces had no problem with it.

4. Re: Acqualagna Truffle Festival from Genga (Hotel Le Grotte)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Marche