We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

festivals in august

norther nireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
festivals in august

Hi

We are staying in umbria/le marche in august and would ove to attend some medival festivals. DOes anyone know of when and where there are in August

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: festivals in august

The only ones I know of are in July. Having been involved in some of these, I can say it would be hard to put one on in August, because they require lots and lots of volunteers, and much of the potential manpower would be on holiday in August.

Where will you be staying? Umbria/Le Marche is a very big area. In August I know of some antiques markets and there are lots and lots of sagre ( festivals based on a certain traditional food, such as sagra delle lumache (snail festival).

norther nireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: festivals in august

We are staying near foligno

norther nireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: festivals in august

We are staying near foligno

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: festivals in august

We usually spend August in the upper Potenza valley, in Le Marche, which is easily reached from Foligno. There is a sagra or festival of one kind or another virtually every weekend in this area. A few that I've been to are:

Sagra della Crescia Fogliata, in Pontile di Fiuminata. This is a festival based on a sweet made only in this area, called crescia fogliata, which is similar to a strudel. Other than food, there are also some booths selling handicrafts and various other things.

Sagra del Gambero, Pioraco. The "gambero" in question is a river crustacean, similar to crayfish. The festival, usually the second weekend of August, coincides with another festival that we usually go to, so we've never been to it. It's a fairly large festival, and I'm pretty sure it has all the usual trappings: food, handicrafts, etc.

Festa del Ritorno, Spindoli di Fiuminata, second weekend of August. This is a sort of homecoming festival, because the descendants of families who emigrated from here to find work generations ago often return to spend a few weeks in the summer. There is food, eaten in a big tent, games for kids, and dancing in the evening. There is also a charity "pesca" (kind of like a lottery, but you always win something). The pesca is a sine qua non of most festivals and sagre.

Sagra del Dolce, in Castello di Fiuminata. This is a festival based around desserts. They also have food stands, booths selling handicrafts, and a charity pesca. Late at night there's a concert (usually rock).

Every Monday evening of August in Pioraco, there is an outdoor antiques market which has most of the characteristics of a sagra: food, charity pesca, games for kids.

There is a sort of medieval festival in Ascoli Piceno the first Sunday of August that I just remembered, but, as I said, all the others I know of are in July.

norther nireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: festivals in august

Wow what a list, thank you so mucg will print it off and sit with our guide book and map to see where abouts everywhere is and what we can do.

Thank you again for replies

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: festivals in august

Make a pencil note on your list that the Sagra del Dolce is usually the third Sunday in August, and the Sagra della Crescia Fogliata is usually the first Sunday in August. I think that covers every weekend except the last, and I'm sure there's something going on that weekend, too! Most sagre begin in the late afternoon or evening.

I mentioned several places that are in the larger area called Fiuminata. Fiuminata is really a collection of villages, and covers a really wide area. Castello di Fiuminata as well as Pontile and Spindoli are some of these villages. Castello means castle, and most of that village is inside the walls of the former castle. It's all lit up for the sagra, and is very suggestive. I think of the ones I mentioned, this is my favorite.

7. Re: festivals in august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 29, 2013