We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train bus or car in Marche

New Zealand
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Train bus or car in Marche

I would appreciate your advice on an itinerary I'm putting together as we prepare to follow my great uncles last few weeks of WWII, as he wrote in a diary, before he died and was buried in Forli 1945. IS the best way to see this area by hire car. I am wary about driving in Italy but have done so before in the Forli area. If we travelled by train to the Fano area, where is the best hire car facility.?

Are there car/ day tour operators in the area. WE would prefer to stay on the sea front, during April/May.

What are the buses like to smaller villages in the area of historical or beautiful surroundings? YOur help is appreciated Thanks Chris from Wild GeeseNZ

Urbino, Italy
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train bus or car in Marche

Hi Chris,

the best way to visit Le Marche is definitely hiring a car... you can hire in Pesaro train station through Alamo.

There are several buses a day from Pesaro to Urbino but that's pretty much it.

Do not be concerned about driving in this part of Italy since, as soon as you leave the coast (where traffic is not an issue anyway) roads are pretty empty.

Have a great stay in Le Marche!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train bus or car in Marche

As Giulia says, a car is the best way to get around Le Marche. There are two main train lines, one going down the coast, and one going inland from Ancona to Rome. Buses usually run from a town on the coast, up a river valley to towns in the interior (more or less running east and west). There are very few buses running north and south. Staying on the coast, you would be able to take the train to another coastal town and get a bus inland. However, buses are infrequent and their schedules are geared to high school kids who usually head to the coast in the morning and back in the early afternoon. You would be going in the other direction, most likely.

There are lots of beautiful towns in Le Marche. Once you know where you'll be staying, we can suggest some itineraries.

3. Re: Train bus or car in Marche

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Marche