We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best tour company for the Vatican

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best tour company for the Vatican

Hi,

We are visiting from March 6-11 and want to book a tour of the Vatican - St. Peters, Sistine, and the Vatican itself. Any thoughts on the best tour company out there?Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,950 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best tour company for the Vatican

The Vatican Museum offers tours of the Museum, including the Sistine Chapel, at far better value than any commercial company: mv.vatican.va

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,852 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best tour company for the Vatican

They are not allowing tours that include all three during the month of March. You can use the site Nick has listed to book a tour of the museums and chapel but you'll need to book a tour of the basilica on your own. There is an audio tour that you can rent that is very good.

Donna

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best tour company for the Vatican

Thanks for the reply, Donna. We aren't going until May (will preorder our tickets when we can) and I'm debating between the guided tour (37 Euros)and just getting the audioguides once we get there. (20 + 4 + 7 =31 Euros)

I have read that it is better to go in the afternoon or on Wednesdays before 11 a.m. Is that correct?

Linda

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,852 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best tour company for the Vatican

The guided tour will be 32 euros total if booked directly through the vatican website. Entry tickets are 16 euros plus a 4 euros booking fee plus 7 euros, the cost of the audio guide. Your math is a little off.

The audio guides are very good but so are the tours. It's going to be a tough choice. Just remember that if you choose a tour you can go back and visit the rooms not included on the tour after its conclusion.

I always prefer to go in the afternoon. The museums and chapel are still crowded but a lot of the tour groups will be in front of you on their way out.

Donna

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best tour company for the Vatican

Math isn't my forte. Actually the 20 already included the service fee, didn't it.?

I thought it was 37 euros for the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's tour. (3 hours) and 32 without St. Peter's. Is this right?

6. Re: What is the best tour company for the Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:33 pm, March 09, 2013
7. Re: What is the best tour company for the Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 11, 2014