We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Vatican Museums on Free Sunday

New Zealand
Level Contributor
22 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Vatican Museums on Free Sunday

Can anyone report their experience visiting the Vatican museums on the last Sunday of the month? There is reference to crowds, but does anyone have actual experience? I'm planning a trip for relatives who will be in Rome the last weekend in April. Due to their schedule the free Sunday would be a good time to visit. But as a onece in a lifetime event for my elderly mother-in-law, I would hate for it to be ruined.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Vatican Museums on Free Sunday

Hi there NZguy1,

Good question! The Vatican Museums are usually extremely crowded on the free last Sunday of the month. I would not recommend it at all especially for a once in a lifetime visit.

It will be especially packed in April since it's high season. Also, keep in mind that the museum hours are shortened on the free Sundays as well which means that you can enter between 9 and 12:30 but you must exit by 2 PM.

It's an overall overwhelming experience especially for someone who is older.

Good luck!

2. Re: Visiting Vatican Museums on Free Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 09, 2010