We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scavi tour of Vatican

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
99 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Scavi tour of Vatican

We'll be in Rome in two weeks and our family is scheduled for the Scavi tour at the Vatican, including St. Peter's tomb. My reservation states that backpacks or large bags must be deposited at the Baggage Deposit. My purse is a Coach backpack style. Will they make me check this? Has anyone left items at the Baggage Deposit? I hate the thought of leaving my purse.

Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Rome - Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Colosseum Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, City Tours, Bike Tours
LivItaly Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scavi tour of Vatican

Yes, this seems to be routine. However, at the Doges Palace in Venice, only BACKpacks were required to be checked. Side bags/shoulder bags were not.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scavi tour of Vatican

The Scavi tour is marvelous--you will rate it high among your Rome adventures. When I took the tour last week, I carried nothing that didn't fit in my pockets. But several of the others on my tour carried large purses and tote bags. Nothing was said to them that I noticed. But we also had a surprisingly small group (8 people), which may have made a difference.

My son and I checked backpacks/totebags elsewhere with no problems. But we did not carry anything valuable in our bags anyway since we had been warned of street crime. We carried nothing more than a sweater or jacket, notepad, guide book, map and water bottle and snacks. I would not carry a purse as I would in the States.